[modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

[modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Davanum Srinivas
Team,

I'd like to help cut a release of 1.2 of Commons-Modeler as requested
by the Geronimo team [1]. Here's some of the prep work that went into
updating the maven dist target [2].

An RC1 is available for review at:
http://people.apache.org/~dims/commons-modeler/

Thanks,
dims

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@.../msg80641.html
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200607.mbox/%3c20060713220621.E74961A981A@...%3e

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service Developers)

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Davanum Srinivas
I've cut a svn tag as well:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/modeler/tags/MODELER_1_2_RC1/

thanks,
dims

On 7/14/06, Davanum Srinivas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Team,
>
> I'd like to help cut a release of 1.2 of Commons-Modeler as requested
> by the Geronimo team [1]. Here's some of the prep work that went into
> updating the maven dist target [2].
>
> An RC1 is available for review at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dims/commons-modeler/
>
> Thanks,
> dims
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@.../msg80641.html
> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200607.mbox/%3c20060713220621.E74961A981A@...%3e
>
> --
> Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service Developers)

--
Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service Developers)

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Dennis Lundberg-2
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Team,
>
> I'd like to help cut a release of 1.2 of Commons-Modeler as requested
> by the Geronimo team [1]. Here's some of the prep work that went into
> updating the maven dist target [2].
>
> An RC1 is available for review at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dims/commons-modeler/
>
> Thanks,
> dims
>
> [1]
> http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@.../msg80641.html
> [2]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200607.mbox/%3c20060713220621.E74961A981A@...%3e

I've built the site locally and clicked through it. I found a couple of
small things that should be changed. They are site only changes. Should
I commit them?

Another thing that needs to be done is to add the 1.2 release in
xdocs/downloads.xml, but that should wait until just before the release
so we get the correct release date.

Also I ran into trouble when running "maven dist" with
maven-tasklist-plugin version 2.4 installed. Downgrading to version 2.3
solved it. I will investigate this further.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Davanum Srinivas
Sure Dennis. Please go ahead and update whatever you think needs to be.

thanks,
dims

On 7/14/06, Dennis Lundberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > Team,
> >
> > I'd like to help cut a release of 1.2 of Commons-Modeler as requested
> > by the Geronimo team [1]. Here's some of the prep work that went into
> > updating the maven dist target [2].
> >
> > An RC1 is available for review at:
> > http://people.apache.org/~dims/commons-modeler/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > dims
> >
> > [1]
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@.../msg80641.html
> > [2]
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200607.mbox/%3c20060713220621.E74961A981A@...%3e
> >

> I've built the site locally and clicked through it. I found a couple of
> small things that should be changed. They are site only changes. Should
> I commit them?
>
> Another thing that needs to be done is to add the 1.2 release in
> xdocs/downloads.xml, but that should wait until just before the release
> so we get the correct release date.
>
> Also I ran into trouble when running "maven dist" with
> maven-tasklist-plugin version 2.4 installed. Downgrading to version 2.3
> solved it. I will investigate this further.
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service Developers)

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Niall Pemberton
The RC looks good to me.

Niall

On 7/14/06, Davanum Srinivas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Team,
>
> I'd like to help cut a release of 1.2 of Commons-Modeler as requested
> by the Geronimo team [1]. Here's some of the prep work that went into
> updating the maven dist target [2].
>
> An RC1 is available for review at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dims/commons-modeler/
>
> Thanks,
> dims
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@.../msg80641.html
> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/200607.mbox/%3c20060713220621.E74961A981A@...%3e
>
> --
> Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service Developers)

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Phil Steitz
Looks good to me, as well, other than that the release notes are
missing an incompatible API change that should be called out.

Clirr gives me this when I run against the 1.1 release jar.

INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean: Method 'public
javax.management.ObjectName getJmxName()' has been added
ERROR: 7006: org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean: Return type of
method 'public javax.management.ObjectName getObjectName()' has been
changed to java.lang.String
INFO: 8000: org.apache.commons.modeler.modules.MbeansDescriptorsDigesterSource:
Class org.apache.commons.modeler.modules.MbeansDescriptorsDigesterSource
added
INFO: 7011: org.apache.commons.modeler.util.IntrospectionUtils: Method
'public void clear()' has been added

The return type change happened here:

http://tinyurl.com/jpkmf

Unfortunately, there was no ASF BZ ticket opened, so it does not show
up in the issues list.

Phil

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Henri Yandell
* Checksums all pass for me.
* tar.gz and zips contain the same content.
* src build happily rebuilds using 'maven jar'

Other things to do on this RC:

* PGP sign the RC dist files.
* Add yourself to the modeler KEYS file.
* Include the jar in with the dist files (signed). This'll go into the
m1 repository. Also include the pom (signed).
* Upload a copy of the site to your rc directory (maven site, then scp
up to ~dims)

Things not to forget for the real release:

* Send email
* 'Release' the version in Jira (including date of release)
* Modify Jakarta downloads page
* Add news to the Jakarta site

Taking a peek at the site locally:

* Don't use the viewvc link on the download page, go direct to the svn
url. (DONE)
* 1.2 missing from download page.
* I'd drop the link to the Wiki page - there's nothing there.
* ChangeLog report is broken. Personally I think it's useless and not
worth the effort (and should be dropped) - others seem to like it.
* No mention of the dependencies apart from the Project
Team->Dependencies page (most of the other pages in that section are
already on the lhs navbar. It'd be nice to mention the dependencies on
the front page).

Looking good,

Hen

On 7/16/06, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Checksums all pass for me.
> * tar.gz and zips contain the same content.
> * src build happily rebuilds using 'maven jar'
>
> Other things to do on this RC:
>
> * PGP sign the RC dist files.
> * Add yourself to the modeler KEYS file.
> * Include the jar in with the dist files (signed). This'll go into the
> m1 repository. Also include the pom (signed).

When did we start requiring signing the jars in addition to the
distro?  Maybe you mean hash?  None of our published docs require sigs
on jars inside distros. It seems like overkill to me to sign parts of
a distro seprarately from the whole distro and this will require
hacking outside of what maven can do simply. I saw the jar in the
binary distro, which is all that needs to contain it, IMO.

On 7/16/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/16/06, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * Checksums all pass for me.
> > * tar.gz and zips contain the same content.
> > * src build happily rebuilds using 'maven jar'
> >
> > Other things to do on this RC:
> >
> > * PGP sign the RC dist files.
> > * Add yourself to the modeler KEYS file.
> > * Include the jar in with the dist files (signed). This'll go into the
> > m1 repository. Also include the pom (signed).
>
> When did we start requiring signing the jars in addition to the
> distro?  Maybe you mean hash?  None of our published docs require sigs
> on jars inside distros. It seems like overkill to me to sign parts of
> a distro seprarately from the whole distro and this will require
> hacking outside of what maven can do simply. I saw the jar in the
> binary distro, which is all that needs to contain it, IMO.

Bad english on my part.

Along with the signed dist files, have the jar and pom available too
as these will need to go into the maven repository. These files also
need to be signed.

Hen

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

kevan
Dims, thanks a bunch.

+1

To be safe, I'm starting up some Geronimo tests using this new
release of Commons-Modeler. I'll give you an update tomorrow.

--kevan

On Jul 14, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Team,
>
> I'd like to help cut a release of 1.2 of Commons-Modeler as requested
> by the Geronimo team [1]. Here's some of the prep work that went into
> updating the maven dist target [2].
>
> An RC1 is available for review at:
> http://people.apache.org/~dims/commons-modeler/
>
> Thanks,
> dims
>
> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@.../
> msg80641.html
> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/
> 200607.mbox/%[hidden email]%3e
>
> --
> Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service
> Developers)

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

kevan
FYI -- all our test results looked good.
--kevan
On Jul 16, 2006, at 3:04 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> Dims, thanks a bunch.
>
> +1
>
> To be safe, I'm starting up some Geronimo tests using this new
> release of Commons-Modeler. I'll give you an update tomorrow.
>
> --kevan
>
> On Jul 14, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>
>> Team,
>>
>> I'd like to help cut a release of 1.2 of Commons-Modeler as requested
>> by the Geronimo team [1]. Here's some of the prep work that went into
>> updating the maven dist target [2].
>>
>> An RC1 is available for review at:
>> http://people.apache.org/~dims/commons-modeler/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> dims
>>
>> [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@.../
>> msg80641.html
>> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-dev/
>> 200607.mbox/%[hidden email]%3e
>>
>> --
>> Davanum Srinivas : http://www.wso2.net (Oxygen for Web Service
>> Developers)

Re: [modeler] Cutting a release for Commons Modeler

Davanum Srinivas
Cool!. There are some more release-manager'y things to do. I will cut
a RC2 and then post a vote to promote it to 1.2 final in the next few
days.

thanks,
dims