[numbers] - Contributions to Commons Numbers

[numbers] - Contributions to Commons Numbers

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi to all,

I have contributed some PR#s (via GitHub) to the commons-numbers
project...(They have been accepted and merged ;-))

I have some questions:

1. The documentation[1] states that every Apache committer has write
access to the commons projects.

So I could change to use gitbox directly via branch instead of GitHub PR's.

The question is: What is the prefered way to contribute to the projects?

  - via GitHub PR
  - via Branch GitBox ?

2. I have already access to JIRA but unfortunately I can't assign JIRA
issue to myself ?

    Is this intentionally or is this an issue?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

[1]: https://commons.apache.org/

Re: [numbers] - Contributions to Commons Numbers

Eric Barnhill
This is well worth discussing.

The protocol here could be improved. Where I work, we all write a lot of
code and we all have write access. We also *always* submit PRs rather than
push directly, and *always* request review from at least one other person.
This is because it is always risky to push code that doesn't have other
eyes on it.

So whether you get/have write access or not, I think the protocol should
always be PRs. That is common practice in industry. We could all make more
use of the "request review" portion of the PR interface. For numbers, this
might entail requesting review from Gilles and one peer. To clarify, this
is only my suggestion and others may disagree.

Speaking to Fraction specifically where you have been contributing. First
of all thank you for your contributions there. I just about finished my
contributions to that module, but have been using my "Apache time" to
mentor the GSoC coders, and have not had time to consider the recent
suggestions. Please feel free to finish it and add your name as a
contributor. If you do I would prefer that you submit a PR and request
Gilles and myself for review.

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:12 AM Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I have contributed some PR#s (via GitHub) to the commons-numbers
> project...(They have been accepted and merged ;-))
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1. The documentation[1] states that every Apache committer has write
> access to the commons projects.
>
> So I could change to use gitbox directly via branch instead of GitHub PR's.
>
> The question is: What is the prefered way to contribute to the projects?
>
>   - via GitHub PR
>   - via Branch GitBox ?
>

> 2. I have already access to JIRA but unfortunately I can't assign JIRA
> issue to myself ?
>
>     Is this intentionally or is this an issue?
>

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>

> [1]: https://commons.apache.org/

Re: [numbers] - Contributions to Commons Numbers

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

Le ven. 31 mai 2019 à 19:12, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi to all,
>
> I have contributed some PR#s (via GitHub) to the commons-numbers
> project...(They have been accepted and merged ;-))
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1. The documentation[1] states that every Apache committer has write
> access to the commons projects.

In practice, you may still have to ask the PMC chair (Gary) to grant
you the access rights of the "commons" team.

> So I could change to use gitbox directly via branch instead of GitHub PR's.
>
> The question is: What is the prefered way to contribute to the projects?
>
>   - via GitHub PR
>   - via Branch GitBox ?

If it fixes the project config or many obvious little things like typos, and
you have the access rights, it's a lot of unnecessary work that I'd have
to do the merge.

If the change is related to the code itself, the usage could be to file a
JIRA report and post to the "dev" ML, asking whether there is any
objection to the change.  With only +1s (or the absence of reaction
after a few days), it's normally safe to commit the change yourself.

> 2. I have already access to JIRA but unfortunately I can't assign JIRA
> issue to myself ?
>
>     Is this intentionally or is this an issue?

That should be fixed with Gary's action mentioned above.

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>

> [1]: https://commons.apache.org/

Re: [numbers] - Contributions to Commons Numbers

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi Eric

Le ven. 31 mai 2019 à 19:29, Eric Barnhill <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> This is well worth discussing.
>
> The protocol here could be improved. Where I work, we all write a lot of
> code and we all have write access. We also *always* submit PRs rather than
> push directly, and *always* request review from at least one other person.
> This is because it is always risky to push code that doesn't have other
> eyes on it.
>
> So whether you get/have write access or not, I think the protocol should
> always be PRs. That is common practice in industry. We could all make more
> use of the "request review" portion of the PR interface. For numbers, this
> might entail requesting review from Gilles and one peer. To clarify, this
> is only my suggestion and others may disagree.

Partly (depending on the contents of the change).
And if we think we missed something important, then "git revert" should
be fine to restart the discussion.

> Speaking to Fraction specifically where you have been contributing. First
> of all thank you for your contributions there. I just about finished my
> contributions to that module, but have been using my "Apache time" to
> mentor the GSoC coders, and have not had time to consider the recent
> suggestions. Please feel free to finish it and add your name as a
> contributor. If you do I would prefer that you submit a PR and request
> Gilles and myself for review.

The "fraction-dev" is fairly old (it does not work on travis anymore);
what about merging it to "master" (after a "rebase", I guess)?
Then we can ask PRs against "master" for the recent suggestions.

Best,
Gilles

On 31.05.19 19:51, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Le ven. 31 mai 2019 à 19:12, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi to all,
>>
>> I have contributed some PR#s (via GitHub) to the commons-numbers
>> project...(They have been accepted and merged ;-))
>>
>> I have some questions:
>>
>> 1. The documentation[1] states that every Apache committer has write
>> access to the commons projects.
>
> In practice, you may still have to ask the PMC chair (Gary) to grant
> you the access rights of the "commons" team.

That is just fine...should I send a mail personally to him?

>> So I could change to use gitbox directly via branch instead of GitHub PR's.
>>
>> The question is: What is the prefered way to contribute to the projects?
>>
>>    - via GitHub PR
>>    - via Branch GitBox ?
>
> If it fixes the project config or many obvious little things like typos, and
> you have the access rights, it's a lot of unnecessary work that I'd have
> to do the merge.

That will remove a burden from other committers..but their help and
knowledge is of course appreciated and helpful. If I'm in doubt I will
ask...

> If the change is related to the code itself, the usage could be to file a
> JIRA report and post to the "dev" ML, asking whether there is any
> objection to the change.  With only +1s (or the absence of reaction
> after a few days), it's normally safe to commit the change yourself.

I already created JIRA issues for each thing I did in commons-numbers
..so I don't have any issue with this..The same working process as in
Maven Project...

And yes if we talk about real code of course it makese sense to have a
review on the branch before merging to master ...(Same as we do in Maven
project..)..cause others know the code better and of course more than
one pair of eyes helps...

>> 2. I have already access to JIRA but unfortunately I can't assign JIRA
>> issue to myself ?
>>
>>      Is this intentionally or is this an issue?
>
> That should be fixed with Gary's action mentioned above.

Ok thanks.

On 31.05.19 19:58, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> Hi Eric
>
> Le ven. 31 mai 2019 à 19:29, Eric Barnhill <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> This is well worth discussing.
>>
>> The protocol here could be improved. Where I work, we all write a lot of
>> code and we all have write access. We also *always* submit PRs rather than
>> push directly, and *always* request review from at least one other person.
>> This is because it is always risky to push code that doesn't have other
>> eyes on it.
>>
>> So whether you get/have write access or not, I think the protocol should
>> always be PRs. That is common practice in industry. We could all make more
>> use of the "request review" portion of the PR interface. For numbers, this
>> might entail requesting review from Gilles and one peer. To clarify, this
>> is only my suggestion and others may disagree.
>
> Partly (depending on the contents of the change).
> And if we think we missed something important, then "git revert" should
> be fine to restart the discussion.
>
>> Speaking to Fraction specifically where you have been contributing. First
>> of all thank you for your contributions there. I just about finished my
>> contributions to that module, but have been using my "Apache time" to
>> mentor the GSoC coders, and have not had time to consider the recent
>> suggestions. Please feel free to finish it and add your name as a
>> contributor. If you do I would prefer that you submit a PR and request
>> Gilles and myself for review.
>
> The "fraction-dev" is fairly old (it does not work on travis anymore);
> what about merging it to "master" (after a "rebase", I guess)?
> Then we can ask PRs against "master" for the recent suggestions.

This is the way we  work in Maven Project working on a branch rebasing
it against master and merging it via fast forward onto Master...that
prevents the merge-commits which are confusing.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Apache Maven PMC

> Best,
> Gilles
>

>> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:12 AM Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi to all,
>>>
>>> I have contributed some PR#s (via GitHub) to the commons-numbers
>>> project...(They have been accepted and merged ;-))
>>>
>>> I have some questions:
>>>
>>> 1. The documentation[1] states that every Apache committer has write
>>> access to the commons projects.
>>>
>>> So I could change to use gitbox directly via branch instead of GitHub PR's.
>>>
>>> The question is: What is the prefered way to contribute to the projects?
>>>
>>>    - via GitHub PR
>>>    - via Branch GitBox ?
>>>

>>> 2. I have already access to JIRA but unfortunately I can't assign JIRA
>>> issue to myself ?
>>>
>>>      Is this intentionally or is this an issue?

Re: [numbers] - Contributions to Commons Numbers

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hello.

>> [...]
> >>
> >> 1. The documentation[1] states that every Apache committer has write
> >> access to the commons projects.
> >
> > In practice, you may still have to ask the PMC chair (Gary) to grant
> > you the access rights of the "commons" team.
>
> That is just fine...should I send a mail personally to him?

As you wish, I guess.  Usually, he would notice such requests; if not
done by next week, it might help. ;-)