[numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Eric Barnhill
I am going to set up a Slack to communicate with my GSoC mentees.

I know official policy is to communicate on this list, but especially with
small setup questions the mentees might have, or gaps in their knowledge,
that will create unnecessary spam for everyone. Larger-scale decisions will
be posted here so they are on the record.

I didn't know what scope to make this Slack. So I called it
apachecommonsnumbers.slack.com . If more people in commons are interested
in this idea, I could change its name to apachecommons.slack.com, and we
could all set up our own channels on it. It's free if that concerns anyone.

Give me a +1 if you want to use it and I will invite you. Otherwise it will
be lonely, just me and my mentees. :)

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Eric Barnhill
Actually some objections have been raised to using Slack because it is not
open source. So the options will be either zulipchat if a group of people
want to use it, or Riot if it is just me.

Thanks, Eric

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:20 PM Eric Barnhill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am going to set up a Slack to communicate with my GSoC mentees.
>
> I know official policy is to communicate on this list, but especially with
> small setup questions the mentees might have, or gaps in their knowledge,
> that will create unnecessary spam for everyone. Larger-scale decisions will
> be posted here so they are on the record.
>
> I didn't know what scope to make this Slack. So I called it
> apachecommonsnumbers.slack.com . If more people in commons are interested
> in this idea, I could change its name to apachecommons.slack.com, and we
> could all set up our own channels on it. It's free if that concerns anyone.
>
> Give me a +1 if you want to use it and I will invite you. Otherwise it
> will be lonely, just me and my mentees. :)

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Mark Thomas
On 01/05/2019 21:38, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> Actually some objections have been raised to using Slack because it is not
> open source. So the options will be either zulipchat if a group of people
> want to use it, or Riot if it is just me.

Better stop using GitHub as well then.

There is no ASF policy that requires the tools we use to be open source.

There is an ASF slack instance - you could request (create?) a
commons-gsoc channel there.

Mark

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:49 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/05/2019 21:38, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> > Actually some objections have been raised to using Slack because it is
> not
> > open source. So the options will be either zulipchat if a group of people
> > want to use it, or Riot if it is just me.
>
> Better stop using GitHub as well then.
>
> There is no ASF policy that requires the tools we use to be open source.

Thanks for clarifying.

Knock me over with a feather. This not appear to be mentioned at
community.apache.org .  Is it asf.slack.com?

On 01/05/2019 21:54, Eric Barnhill wrote:

> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:49 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/2019 21:38, Eric Barnhill wrote:
>>> Actually some objections have been raised to using Slack because it is
>> not
>>> open source. So the options will be either zulipchat if a group of people
>>> want to use it, or Riot if it is just me.
>>
>> Better stop using GitHub as well then.
>>
>> There is no ASF policy that requires the tools we use to be open source.
>>

> Thanks for clarifying.
>

>> There is an ASF slack instance - you could request (create?) a
>> commons-gsoc channel there.
>>

> Knock me over with a feather. This not appear to be mentioned at
> community.apache.org .  Is it asf.slack.com?

the-asf.slack.com
There is already a commons channel. I think you can create commons-gsoc
if you need it. If not, I look to be able to create channels. Just ping me.

Mark

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Eric Barnhill
Thanks Mark,

It looks like an apache.org domain email is required to register, and I
don't think my mentees are going to have one of those, so I may still open
a Zulip on the side. I am happy to have joined the commons slack there
though!

Eric

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:58 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/05/2019 21:54, Eric Barnhill wrote:

> >> not
> people
> >>
> >> Better stop using GitHub as well then.
> >>
> >> There is no ASF policy that requires the tools we use to be open source.
> >>

> > Thanks for clarifying.
> >

> >> There is an ASF slack instance - you could request (create?) a
> >> commons-gsoc channel there.
> >>

> > Knock me over with a feather. This not appear to be mentioned at
> > community.apache.org .  Is it asf.slack.com?
>
> the-asf.slack.com
> There is already a commons channel. I think you can create commons-gsoc
> if you need it. If not, I look to be able to create channels. Just ping me.
>
> Mark

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Mark Thomas-21
On 01/05/2019 22:09, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> Thanks Mark,
>
> It looks like an apache.org domain email is required to register, and I
> don't think my mentees are going to have one of those, so I may still open
> a Zulip on the side. I am happy to have joined the commons slack there
> though!

You should be able to invite folks without @apache.org addresses

Mark

> Eric
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:58 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> people

>>> Thanks for clarifying.

>>> Knock me over with a feather. This not appear to be mentioned at
>>> community.apache.org .  Is it asf.slack.com?
>>
>> the-asf.slack.com
>> There is already a commons channel. I think you can create commons-gsoc
>> if you need it. If not, I look to be able to create channels. Just ping me.
>>
>> Mark

RE: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Ben Nguyen
Hello,

Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m excited to get started!

Ben

On 01/05/2019 22:09, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> Thanks Mark,
>
> It looks like an apache.org domain email is required to register, and I
> don't think my mentees are going to have one of those, so I may still open
> a Zulip on the side. I am happy to have joined the commons slack there
> though!

You should be able to invite folks without @apache.org addresses

Mark

> Eric
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 1:58 PM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> people

>>> Thanks for clarifying.

>>> Knock me over with a feather. This not appear to be mentioned at
>>> community.apache.org .  Is it asf.slack.com?
>>
>> the-asf.slack.com
>> There is already a commons channel. I think you can create commons-gsoc
>> if you need it. If not, I look to be able to create channels. Just ping me.
>>
>> Mark

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Udit Arora
Congrats Ben.

On Mon, 6 May 2019, 11:42 pm Ben Nguyen, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
> excited to get started!
>
> Ben

Sounds like the word is out. Ben is this your preferred email for a slack
communication? I will invite you to our dedicated ASF commons-gsoc slack
channel.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:12 AM Ben Nguyen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
> excited to get started!
>
> Ben

+1 Congrats,  Ben.

I think we’re trying to sort out what messaging system we’re going to use.

-Rob

> On Mon, 6 May 2019, 11:42 pm Ben Nguyen, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
>> excited to get started!
>>
>> Ben

Thank you Udit, looking forward to working with you.

And yes, this will be my preferred email for all gsoc related communication.

On Mon, 6 May 2019, 11:42 pm Ben Nguyen, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
> excited to get started!
>
> Ben

I didn't realize that and perhaps I should have wrapped up that discussion
more clearly. Apologies.

I thought Mark's suggestion was very good. All would take place at the
official Apache slack channel. I set up a commons-gsoc channel and invited
Ben and Abhishek. Certainly, that solves all the issues I had. I just
wanted a communication channel.

Welcome Ben and Abhishek, please find the commons-gsoc and let's
communicate there. I will check in today, by end of California workday.

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:18 AM Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On May 6, 2019, at 2:13 PM, Udit Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Congrats Ben.
>
> +1 Congrats,  Ben.
>
> I think we’re trying to sort out what messaging system we’re going to use.
>
> -Rob
>

> > On Mon, 6 May 2019, 11:42 pm Ben Nguyen, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
> >> excited to get started!
> >>
> >> Ben

Udit you are welcome to join us to chat on the channel. Do you want an
invitation?

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:13 AM Udit Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congrats Ben.
>
> On Mon, 6 May 2019, 11:42 pm Ben Nguyen, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
> > excited to get started!
> >
> > Ben

Virendra singh Rajpurohit
Hey Eric, My name is there on projects list, but I haven't yet received any
official mail from Apache or Google.
Does that mean I'm selected?
Also I would like to know more about communication channel that we will be
using.
--
Warm Regards

[image: photo]
*Virendra Singh Rajpurohit*

+91 9760781615 | [hidden email]

Skype: virendrasinghrp <#>
<https://us.linkedin.com/in/virendra-singh-rajpurohit>
Create your own email signature
<https://www.wisestamp.com/signature-in-email?utm_source=promotion&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=create_your_own>

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by
Mailtrack
05/07/19,
12:15:29 AM

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 12:14 AM Eric Barnhill <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Udit you are welcome to join us to chat on the channel. Do you want an
> invitation?
>
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:13 AM Udit Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Congrats Ben.
> >
> > On Mon, 6 May 2019, 11:42 pm Ben Nguyen, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
> > > excited to get started!
> > >
> > > Ben

*Virendra Singh Rajpurohit*

*University of Petroleum and Energy Studies,Dehradun*
M:+91-9760781615
Linkedin:https://www.linkedin.com/in/virendra-singh-rajpurohit

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Eric Barnhill
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:51 AM Virendra singh Rajpurohit <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Eric, My name is there on projects list, but I haven't yet received any
> official mail from Apache or Google.
> Does that mean I'm selected?

Yes, congratulations you were selected. Check the spam filter maybe?

We've had less interaction with you, so we will need to work together
during community bonding to make sure you are contributing on the same
level as the others.

I will add you to the slack. Is this your preferred email?

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Virendra singh Rajpurohit
Yes, it is my preferred mail.

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by
Mailtrack
05/07/19,
12:25:37 AM

[image: photo]
*Virendra Singh Rajpurohit*

+91 9760781615 | [hidden email]

Skype: virendrasinghrp <#>
<https://us.linkedin.com/in/virendra-singh-rajpurohit>
Create your own email signature
<https://www.wisestamp.com/signature-in-email?utm_source=promotion&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=create_your_own>

M:+91-9760781615
Linkedin:https://www.linkedin.com/in/virendra-singh-rajpurohit

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Rob Tompkins
Virendra,

Congrats. I’ve signed up to help mentor here. So it’ll be Eric as well as myself helping. All the best,

-Rob

> On May 6, 2019, at 2:56 PM, Virendra singh Rajpurohit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, it is my preferred mail.
>

> [image: Mailtrack]
> <https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&>
> Sender
> notified by
> Mailtrack
> <https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&>
> 05/07/19,
> 12:25:37 AM
>

> [image: photo]
> *Virendra Singh Rajpurohit*
>
> +91 9760781615 | [hidden email]
>
> Skype: virendrasinghrp <#>
> <https://us.linkedin.com/in/virendra-singh-rajpurohit>
> Create your own email signature
> <https://www.wisestamp.com/signature-in-email?utm_source=promotion&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=create_your_own>
>
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 12:25 AM Eric Barnhill <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:51 AM Virendra singh Rajpurohit <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Eric, My name is there on projects list, but I haven't yet received
>> any
>>> official mail from Apache or Google.
>>> Does that mean I'm selected?
>>>

>> Yes, congratulations you were selected. Check the spam filter maybe?
>>
>> We've had less interaction with you, so we will need to work together
>> during community bonding to make sure you are contributing on the same
>> level as the others.
>>
>> I will add you to the slack. Is this your preferred email?
>>

> --
> *Virendra Singh Rajpurohit*
>
> *University of Petroleum and Energy Studies,Dehradun*
> M:+91-9760781615
> Linkedin:https://www.linkedin.com/in/virendra-singh-rajpurohit

Re: [numbers][GSoC] Slack for GSoC mentees

Udit Arora
Thanks for offering me an invitation. I would like the invitation.

On Tue, 7 May 2019, 12:14 am Eric Barnhill, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Udit you are welcome to join us to chat on the channel. Do you want an
> invitation?
>
> On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 11:13 AM Udit Arora <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Congrats Ben.
> >
> > On Mon, 6 May 2019, 11:42 pm Ben Nguyen, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Any update on which communication tool will be used? Slack, Zulip? I’m
> > > excited to get started!
> > >
> > > Ben

Thanks Rob,I'll be in touch with you.

[image: photo]