[parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

[parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

Emmanuel Bourg-3
The parent pom currently attaches the -bin and -src archives to the
deploy phase, which means we have to delete them manually in Nexus.

Can we agree to change that?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

Stefan Bodewig
On 2013-10-11, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> The parent pom currently attaches the -bin and -src archives to the
> deploy phase, which means we have to delete them manually in Nexus.

> Can we agree to change that?

Sebb did some investigation back in May, I think.  IIRC this implies
they won't get signed and you have to create hashes manually - no big
problem but another manual step.

Stefan

Re: [parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

Olivier Lamy
why not having those files deployed?

On 11 October 2013 23:21, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The parent pom currently attaches the -bin and -src archives to the
> deploy phase, which means we have to delete them manually in Nexus.
>
> Can we agree to change that?
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

sebb-2-2
On 12 October 2013 09:08, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> why not having those files deployed?

See my reply in another thread.
The Maven project deploys these to Maven Central.

The primary release channel for the bin and src tarballs must be the
ASF mirror system, not Maven Central (MC).
Does this mean that we cannot publish to MC as well? I don't know.

> On 11 October 2013 23:21, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The parent pom currently attaches the -bin and -src archives to the
>> deploy phase, which means we have to delete them manually in Nexus.
>>
>> Can we agree to change that?
>>
>> Emmanuel Bourg

> Olivier Lamy
> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: [parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

garydgregory
On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 12 October 2013 09:08, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> why not having those files deployed?
>
> See my reply in another thread.
> The Maven project deploys these to Maven Central.
>
> The primary release channel for the bin and src tarballs must be the
> ASF mirror system, not Maven Central (MC).
> Does this mean that we cannot publish to MC as well? I don't know.

It would make my life easier if every thing was published to one
place. MC is good because Maven and Ivy know how to resolve to those.
No one tools know how to resolve to Apache "dist" or whatnot.

I understand that we have to publish to an Apache location, but maybe
there is a way to make it easier.

Gary

>> On 11 October 2013 23:21, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The parent pom currently attaches the -bin and -src archives to the
>>> deploy phase, which means we have to delete them manually in Nexus.
>>>
>>> Can we agree to change that?
>>>
>>> Emmanuel Bourg

>> --
>> Olivier Lamy
>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

On 14 October 2013 01:51, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 12 October 2013 09:08, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> why not having those files deployed?
>>
>> See my reply in another thread.
>> The Maven project deploys these to Maven Central.
>>
>> The primary release channel for the bin and src tarballs must be the
>> ASF mirror system, not Maven Central (MC).
>> Does this mean that we cannot publish to MC as well? I don't know.
>
> It would make my life easier if every thing was published to one
> place. MC is good because Maven and Ivy know how to resolve to those.

ASF releases must be via the ASF mirrors; Maven jars must be to a Maven repo.
It's not possible to publish to a single place.

> No one tools know how to resolve to Apache "dist" or whatnot.

Not sure I follow what you mean here.

> I understand that we have to publish to an Apache location, but maybe
> there is a way to make it easier.

AFAIK the only choice is:
+ to use Nexus for both Maven and ASF artifacts
+ or use Nexus for Maven and the SVN dist/dev tree for ASF artifacts

> Gary

>>> --
>>> Olivier Lamy
>>> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au
>>> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

> JUnit in Action, Second Edition
> Spring Batch in Action
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

Matt Benson-2
Just because dist.a.o is the canonical place for the source release to live
does not necessarily mean that the artifact cannot be deployed to Nexus.
 We do have the option to let Maven upload everything to Nexus, vote on the
artifacts, and then copy the successfully-voted-on source artifact to
dist.a.o.

Matt

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14 October 2013 01:51, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> See my reply in another thread.
>>> The Maven project deploys these to Maven Central.
>>>
>>> The primary release channel for the bin and src tarballs must be the
>>> ASF mirror system, not Maven Central (MC).
>>> Does this mean that we cannot publish to MC as well? I don't know.
>>
>> It would make my life easier if every thing was published to one
>> place. MC is good because Maven and Ivy know how to resolve to those.
>
> ASF releases must be via the ASF mirrors; Maven jars must be to a Maven repo.
> It's not possible to publish to a single place.
>
>> No one tools know how to resolve to Apache "dist" or whatnot.
>
> Not sure I follow what you mean here.

What I mean here is that tools like Maven and Ivy know how to fetch
jars from Maven repos, not from dist.a.o.

While it is essential to have an official home for our jars, it would
be simpler if that home where a Maven repo.

I have, at work, cases where we need the actual -bin from projects
like JMeter and ActiveMQ to run tests. Right now we need to manually
add these to our own repos, which is a manual process, and a pain. If
the -bin files where in Apache's Maven repo, no more headaches.

Gary

On 15 October 2013 18:11, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It would make my life easier if every thing was published to one
>>> place. MC is good because Maven and Ivy know how to resolve to those.
>>
>> ASF releases must be via the ASF mirrors; Maven jars must be to a Maven repo.
>> It's not possible to publish to a single place.
>>
>>> No one tools know how to resolve to Apache "dist" or whatnot.
>>
>> Not sure I follow what you mean here.
>
> What I mean here is that tools like Maven and Ivy know how to fetch
> jars from Maven repos, not from dist.a.o.
>
> While it is essential to have an official home for our jars, it would
> be simpler if that home where a Maven repo.
>
> I have, at work, cases where we need the actual -bin from projects
> like JMeter and ActiveMQ to run tests. Right now we need to manually
> add these to our own repos, which is a manual process, and a pain. If
> the -bin files where in Apache's Maven repo, no more headaches.

JMeter jars are released to Maven Central - there should be no need
for additional input.
If there is a problem with the contents, please raise this as a bug.

On 15 October 2013 17:53, Matt Benson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Just because dist.a.o is the canonical place for the source release to live
> does not necessarily mean that the artifact cannot be deployed to Nexus.
>  We do have the option to let Maven upload everything to Nexus, vote on the
> artifacts, and then copy the successfully-voted-on source artifact to
> dist.a.o.

Which is what I thought I expressed here:

> AFAIK the only choice is:
> + to use Nexus for both Maven and ASF artifacts
> + or use Nexus for Maven and the SVN dist/dev tree for ASF artifacts

Though I now realise I did not make it clear that I was referring to
the staging of release artifacts.

> Matt
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > It would make my life easier if every thing was published to one
>> > place. MC is good because Maven and Ivy know how to resolve to those.
>>
>> ASF releases must be via the ASF mirrors; Maven jars must be to a Maven
>> repo.
>> It's not possible to publish to a single place.
>>
>> > No one tools know how to resolve to Apache "dist" or whatnot.
>>
>> Not sure I follow what you mean here.
>>
>> > I understand that we have to publish to an Apache location, but maybe
>> > there is a way to make it easier.
>>
>> AFAIK the only choice is:
>> + to use Nexus for both Maven and ASF artifacts
>> + or use Nexus for Maven and the SVN dist/dev tree for ASF artifacts
>>
>> > Gary

>> > --
>> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> > Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
>> > JUnit in Action, Second Edition
>> > Spring Batch in Action
>> > Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> > Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> > Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

Matt Benson-2
Violent agreement.  :)

Matt

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 October 2013 18:11, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> ASF releases must be via the ASF mirrors; Maven jars must be to a Maven repo.
>>> It's not possible to publish to a single place.

>>> Not sure I follow what you mean here.
>>
>> What I mean here is that tools like Maven and Ivy know how to fetch
>> jars from Maven repos, not from dist.a.o.
>>
>> While it is essential to have an official home for our jars, it would
>> be simpler if that home where a Maven repo.
>>
>> I have, at work, cases where we need the actual -bin from projects
>> like JMeter and ActiveMQ to run tests. Right now we need to manually
>> add these to our own repos, which is a manual process, and a pain. If
>> the -bin files where in Apache's Maven repo, no more headaches.
>
> JMeter jars are released to Maven Central - there should be no need
> for additional input.
> If there is a problem with the contents, please raise this as a bug.

Right now, we are using JMeter 2.8 and this Ant task:
http://www.programmerplanet.org/projects/jmeter-ant-task/

The Ant task requires a "javahome" directory.

Is there a better way to run JMeter from Ant + Ivy?

Thank you,
Gary

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> What I mean here is that tools like Maven and Ivy know how to fetch
>>> jars from Maven repos, not from dist.a.o.
>>>
>>> While it is essential to have an official home for our jars, it would
>>> be simpler if that home where a Maven repo.
>>>
>>> I have, at work, cases where we need the actual -bin from projects
>>> like JMeter and ActiveMQ to run tests. Right now we need to manually
>>> add these to our own repos, which is a manual process, and a pain. If
>>> the -bin files where in Apache's Maven repo, no more headaches.
>>
>> JMeter jars are released to Maven Central - there should be no need
>> for additional input.
>> If there is a problem with the contents, please raise this as a bug.
>
> Right now, we are using JMeter 2.8 and this Ant task:
> http://www.programmerplanet.org/projects/jmeter-ant-task/
>
> The Ant task requires a "javahome" directory.
I mean a "jmeterhome" dir.

Gary

> Is there a better way to run JMeter from Ant + Ivy?
>
> Thank you,
> Gary
>

>>> Gary

>>> --
>>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>>> JUnit in Action, Second Edition
>>> Spring Batch in Action
>>> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>>> Home: http://garygregory.com/

> JUnit in Action, Second Edition
> Spring Batch in Action
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [parent] Preventing the deployment of -src and -bin archives to Nexus

sebb-2-2
This discussion belongs on a JMeter mailing list.
Probably the dev list.