[parent] japicmp problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[parent] japicmp problems

Stefan Bodewig
Hi

while building the site for Compress the japicmp report was empty,
taking a closer look there is a little warning that says "skipping
report because skip is set to true" which in fact it is.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=1832506&r2=1833335
added this (in a seemingly unrelated commit) and thus effectively
disabled japicmp. I *think* we need to add <skip>false</skip> to the
japicmp profile or better introduce a property like we have for most of
the other reports. As I don't understand why skip was added in the first
place I won't change the parent POM, though. Will fix Compress' POM
locally.

In related news trying to use japicmp 0.12.0 leads to a failed build with

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.isPomModuleNeedingSkip (JApiCmpMojo.java:1243)
    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.executeWithParameters (JApiCmpMojo.java:130)

in Compress. I'll explicitly revert to 0.11.1 as this seems to work
locally.

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Rob Tompkins
I agree with this statement generally. That said, this doesn’t surprise me that I made this error because japicmp is minimally cumbersome to work with. It feels very unfinished/unpolished. Next time I get into [parent], I’ll try to go up and submit more polishing work to the japicmp codebase.

-Rob

> On Aug 12, 2018, at 8:45 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> while building the site for Compress the japicmp report was empty,
> taking a closer look there is a little warning that says "skipping
> report because skip is set to true" which in fact it is.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=1832506&r2=1833335
> added this (in a seemingly unrelated commit) and thus effectively
> disabled japicmp. I *think* we need to add <skip>false</skip> to the
> japicmp profile or better introduce a property like we have for most of
> the other reports. As I don't understand why skip was added in the first
> place I won't change the parent POM, though. Will fix Compress' POM
> locally.
>
> In related news trying to use japicmp 0.12.0 leads to a failed build with
>
> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
>    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.isPomModuleNeedingSkip (JApiCmpMojo.java:1243)
>    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.executeWithParameters (JApiCmpMojo.java:130)
>
> in Compress. I'll explicitly revert to 0.11.1 as this seems to work
> locally.
>
> Stefan
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

garydgregory
+1 using japicmp is maddening due to bugs. It feels unsupported... fork it
and fix it within Commons?

Gary

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018, 07:08 Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with this statement generally. That said, this doesn’t surprise me
> that I made this error because japicmp is minimally cumbersome to work
> with. It feels very unfinished/unpolished. Next time I get into [parent],
> I’ll try to go up and submit more polishing work to the japicmp codebase.
>
> -Rob
>
> > On Aug 12, 2018, at 8:45 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > while building the site for Compress the japicmp report was empty,
> > taking a closer look there is a little warning that says "skipping
> > report because skip is set to true" which in fact it is.
> >
> >
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=1832506&r2=1833335
> > added this (in a seemingly unrelated commit) and thus effectively
> > disabled japicmp. I *think* we need to add <skip>false</skip> to the
> > japicmp profile or better introduce a property like we have for most of
> > the other reports. As I don't understand why skip was added in the first
> > place I won't change the parent POM, though. Will fix Compress' POM
> > locally.
> >
> > In related news trying to use japicmp 0.12.0 leads to a failed build with
> >
> > Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> >    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.isPomModuleNeedingSkip
> (JApiCmpMojo.java:1243)
> >    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.executeWithParameters
> (JApiCmpMojo.java:130)
> >
> > in Compress. I'll explicitly revert to 0.11.1 as this seems to work
> > locally.
> >
> > Stefan
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Stefan Bodewig
In reply to this post by Rob Tompkins
On 2018-08-12, Rob Tompkins wrote:

> I agree with this statement generally. That said, this doesn’t
> surprise me that I made this error because japicmp is minimally
> cumbersome to work with.

I didn't mean to blame you, sorry if you received it that way. Fully
agreed that japicmp is a pain, but for some reason we had to give up
clirr (which is completely unsupported AFAIK).

> It feels very unfinished/unpolished. Next time I get into [parent],
> I’ll try to go up and submit more polishing work to the japicmp
> codebase.

Before I dive in I wanted to be sure there was no better reason to skip
it. I can quickly add a property japicmp.skip, set that to true by
default and false inside of the profile. This should fix things for
parent 48.

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

garydgregory
Whatever you do, please document in the parent what does what and how a
component should enable and disable the report.
Thanks!
Gary

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 9:16 AM Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-08-12, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>
> > I agree with this statement generally. That said, this doesn’t
> > surprise me that I made this error because japicmp is minimally
> > cumbersome to work with.
>
> I didn't mean to blame you, sorry if you received it that way. Fully
> agreed that japicmp is a pain, but for some reason we had to give up
> clirr (which is completely unsupported AFAIK).
>
> > It feels very unfinished/unpolished. Next time I get into [parent],
> > I’ll try to go up and submit more polishing work to the japicmp
> > codebase.
>
> Before I dive in I wanted to be sure there was no better reason to skip
> it. I can quickly add a property japicmp.skip, set that to true by
> default and false inside of the profile. This should fix things for
> parent 48.
>
> Stefan
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Rob Tompkins
In reply to this post by Stefan Bodewig


> On Aug 12, 2018, at 11:16 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-08-12, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>>
>> I agree with this statement generally. That said, this doesn’t
>> surprise me that I made this error because japicmp is minimally
>> cumbersome to work with.
>
> I didn't mean to blame you, sorry if you received it that way. Fully
> agreed that japicmp is a pain, but for some reason we had to give up
> clirr (which is completely unsupported AFAIK).
>

No. I didn’t take it as blame. Just contextualizing your point and minimally putting explanation of the evolution to where we are now.

Regarding Gary’s point we would do better to fork clirr, I would think.


>> It feels very unfinished/unpolished. Next time I get into [parent],
>> I’ll try to go up and submit more polishing work to the japicmp
>> codebase.
>
> Before I dive in I wanted to be sure there was no better reason to skip
> it. I can quickly add a property japicmp.skip, set that to true by
> default and false inside of the profile. This should fix things for
> parent 48.
>
> Stefan
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Remko Popma-2
Has anyone communicated these issues (whatever they are) back to the japicmp author(s)? Or are they unaware?

Forking the project in Commons means you’ve given up on the maintainers. It also likely means a significant time investment. Why not spend a fraction of that time to submit a bug fix to japicmp?

Remko

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On Aug 13, 2018, at 1:10, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
>>> On Aug 12, 2018, at 11:16 AM, Stefan Bodewig <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2018-08-12, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with this statement generally. That said, this doesn’t
>>> surprise me that I made this error because japicmp is minimally
>>> cumbersome to work with.
>>
>> I didn't mean to blame you, sorry if you received it that way. Fully
>> agreed that japicmp is a pain, but for some reason we had to give up
>> clirr (which is completely unsupported AFAIK).
>>
>
> No. I didn’t take it as blame. Just contextualizing your point and minimally putting explanation of the evolution to where we are now.
>
> Regarding Gary’s point we would do better to fork clirr, I would think.
>
>
>>> It feels very unfinished/unpolished. Next time I get into [parent],
>>> I’ll try to go up and submit more polishing work to the japicmp
>>> codebase.
>>
>> Before I dive in I wanted to be sure there was no better reason to skip
>> it. I can quickly add a property japicmp.skip, set that to true by
>> default and false inside of the profile. This should fix things for
>> parent 48.
>>
>> Stefan
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Stefan Bodewig
In reply to this post by garydgregory
On 2018-08-12, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Whatever you do, please document in the parent what does what and how a
> component should enable and disable the report.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=1837064&r2=1837920

Actually, you don't have to do anything. It now just works like
documented again (i.e. you add a file to your repository, the profile is
enabled and japicmp is executed).

Stefan

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]