[pool] Java 7 and release

garydgregory
Wow, 2 years since the last release of [pool]. I plan on updating to Java 7
and push out a release.

Re: [pool] Java 7 and release

garydgregory
Or the other way around. Release and update to Java 7...

Gary

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wow, 2 years since the last release of [pool]. I plan on updating to Java
> 7 and push out a release.

Re: [pool] Java 7 and release

Matt Sicker
Go for it! Though perhaps some quick feedback from Tomcat would be good
since they're the primary Apache project that uses the library.

On 23 October 2017 at 17:30, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or the other way around. Release and update to Java 7...
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Wow, 2 years since the last release of [pool]. I plan on updating to Java
> > 7 and push out a release.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [pool] Java 7 and release

jochen-2
On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 12:30 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Or the other way around. Release and update to Java 7...

Sounds like a better plan to me. After two years, it could be
necessary to provide another maintenance release at any time.

Jochen

Re: [pool] Java 7 and release

Mark Thomas
On 24/10/17 05:56, Matt Sicker wrote:
> Go for it! Though perhaps some quick feedback from Tomcat would be good
> since they're the primary Apache project that uses the library.

I assume we are talking about Pool 2.x.

Pool 2.x is used by Tomcat 8 onwards and Tomcat 8 has a requirement of
Java 7 or later so updating Pool 2.x to Java 7 would not present a
problem for the Tomcat community.

Mark

> On 23 October 2017 at 17:30, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Or the other way around. Release and update to Java 7...
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, 2 years since the last release of [pool]. I plan on updating to Java
>>> 7 and push out a release.
>>>
>>> Gary

Re: [pool] Java 7 and release

Matt Sicker
On 24 October 2017 at 06:44, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/10/17 05:56, Matt Sicker wrote:
> > Go for it! Though perhaps some quick feedback from Tomcat would be good
> > since they're the primary Apache project that uses the library.
>
> I assume we are talking about Pool 2.x.

Yes.

> Pool 2.x is used by Tomcat 8 onwards and Tomcat 8 has a requirement of
> Java 7 or later so updating Pool 2.x to Java 7 would not present a
> problem for the Tomcat community.

Great! That means DBCP 2.x should be able to upgrade to Java 7 as well if
it hasn't already.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [pool] Java 7 and release

garydgregory
I think I will:
- release pool
- update to Java 7

It seems cleaner that way.

Gary

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Matt Sicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24 October 2017 at 06:44, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 24/10/17 05:56, Matt Sicker wrote:
> > > Go for it! Though perhaps some quick feedback from Tomcat would be good
> > > since they're the primary Apache project that uses the library.
> >
> > I assume we are talking about Pool 2.x.
> >

> Yes.
>

> > Pool 2.x is used by Tomcat 8 onwards and Tomcat 8 has a requirement of
> > Java 7 or later so updating Pool 2.x to Java 7 would not present a
> > problem for the Tomcat community.
> >

> Great! That means DBCP 2.x should be able to upgrade to Java 7 as well if
> it hasn't already.

> Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [pool] Java 7 and release

sebb-2-2
On 24 October 2017 at 15:22, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I will:
> - release pool
> - update to Java 7

Might be sensible to add a note to the pom that Tomcat 8 needs Java 7+.
This means that Pool 2 cannot be updated beyond Java 7 without
affecting Tomcat 8.