[pool] test failures

garydgregory
HI all:

When I run 'mvn clean verify' on git master, I get test failures on my
rather busy CPU (~60-90%):

[INFO] Running org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool
[ERROR] Tests run: 63, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
177.53 s <<< FAILURE! - in
org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool
[ERROR]
testEviction2(org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool)
Time elapsed: 15.04 s  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: Should be less than 900 idle, found 962
        at
org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.testEviction2(TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.java:519)

[ERROR]
testMinIdleMaxTotalPerKey(org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool)
Time elapsed: 0.705 s  <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError: Should be 5 idle, found 3
        at
org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.testMinIdleMaxTotalPerKey(TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.java:672)

Does anyone see this as well?

Re: [pool] test failures

Eitan Adler
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 at 14:27, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI all:
>
> When I run 'mvn clean verify' on git master, I get test failures on my
> rather busy CPU (~60-90%):

I can not replicate
∴java -version
openjdk version "11.0.1" 2018-10-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.1+13)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.1+13, mixed mode)

∴uname -rms
Darwin 18.2.0 x86_64

--
Eitan Adler

Re: [pool] test failures

> On Nov 19, 2018, at 5:27 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HI all:
>
> When I run 'mvn clean verify' on git master, I get test failures on my
> rather busy CPU (~60-90%):
>
> [INFO] Running org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool
> [ERROR] Tests run: 63, Failures: 2, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed:
> 177.53 s <<< FAILURE! - in
> org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool
> [ERROR]
> testEviction2(org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool)
> Time elapsed: 15.04 s  <<< FAILURE!
> java.lang.AssertionError: Should be less than 900 idle, found 962
>        at
> org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.testEviction2(TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.java:519)
>
> [ERROR]
> testMinIdleMaxTotalPerKey(org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool)
> Time elapsed: 0.705 s  <<< FAILURE!
> java.lang.AssertionError: Should be 5 idle, found 3
>        at
> org.apache.commons.pool2.impl.TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.testMinIdleMaxTotalPerKey(TestGenericKeyedObjectPool.java:672)
>
> Does anyone see this as well?

What are your memory settings? I definitely run into tests that sit for quite a while.

-Rob

Re: [pool] test failures

Phil Steitz
Look at the source for the failing tests.  What you will likely see
is a lot of threads being started, a delay waiting for them to
complete / hit conditions and then some assertions.  If the threads
run into scheduling delays, they may not complete / hit conditions
in time.  The timings are generally set so that on a reasonably
loaded machine with decent clock resolution, tests will succeed.  It
is not surprising that many will fail on slow or loaded machines.
Adding more delay would likely "fix" this, but the tests already
take a very long time to run.

Phil