primitives

Benson Margulies
Hello commons dev,

I proposed a lab over at labs in which to start construction of
something much like what commons-primitives describes itself as
setting out to do. The web page for primitives suggests a rather
dormant state. Is there anybody in there actively working on
primitives?

--benson margulies

Re: primitives

Stephen Colebourne
Benson Margulies wrote:
> I proposed a lab over at labs in which to start construction of
> something much like what commons-primitives describes itself as
> setting out to do. The web page for primitives suggests a rather
> dormant state. Is there anybody in there actively working on
> primitives?

I think [primitives] is stable and complete, thus appears rather quiet.

I'd also point out Joda-Primitives - http://joda-primitives.sourceforge.net/

Its a fork of the concept of [primitives] but with an API design I felt
more comfortable with. However, I don't have time to work on it
(generify, release). I'll grant access to anyone that wants to help on it.

Stephen

Re: primitives

Benson Margulies
Stephen,

It's interesting to me that the world in general knows about Trove,
but not so much this.

The fact that the front page is labelled with a snapshot version might
have something to do with it, but I am kind of mystified. One thing
that I'd like to add that Trove has is a full generic object hash map
that is an open hash to avoid the space bloat of the stock Java
HashMap.

I am willing to make time to work on this. Since I'm not a committer
at commons, I'm thinking that my proposed lab is a reasonable place to
put in some effort and then bring it back into commons. Or maybe I
should just start teeing up patches at commons? I find that
reorganizing changes that might be called for to do generics and such
are really clumsy  in patches, so svn cp-ing to a lab might still make
sense.

I'm copy the labs list to test if I'm making a particle of sense.

--benson

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Stephen Colebourne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>> I proposed a lab over at labs in which to start construction of
>> something much like what commons-primitives describes itself as
>> setting out to do. The web page for primitives suggests a rather
>> dormant state. Is there anybody in there actively working on
>> primitives?
>
> I think [primitives] is stable and complete, thus appears rather quiet.
>
> I'd also point out Joda-Primitives - http://joda-primitives.sourceforge.net/
>
> Its a fork of the concept of [primitives] but with an API design I felt more
> comfortable with. However, I don't have time to work on it (generify,
> release). I'll grant access to anyone that wants to help on it.
>
> Stephen

Re: primitives

Henri Yandell
Or you could start up a sandbox project. We've had good success with
ASF committers creating a sandbox branch of a released component, and
after diving in for a while it's then merged in to trunk where they
then become one of the most active coders of that component.

So +1 to a sandbox branch to primitives if you have ideas you'd like
to play with. ASF committers get karma to the sandbox on request, so
just need you to want to do that and we can add karma.

Hen

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> It's interesting to me that the world in general knows about Trove,
> but not so much this.
>
> The fact that the front page is labelled with a snapshot version might
> have something to do with it, but I am kind of mystified. One thing
> that I'd like to add that Trove has is a full generic object hash map
> that is an open hash to avoid the space bloat of the stock Java
> HashMap.
>
> I am willing to make time to work on this. Since I'm not a committer
> at commons, I'm thinking that my proposed lab is a reasonable place to
> put in some effort and then bring it back into commons. Or maybe I
> should just start teeing up patches at commons? I find that
> reorganizing changes that might be called for to do generics and such
> are really clumsy  in patches, so svn cp-ing to a lab might still make
> sense.
>
> I'm copy the labs list to test if I'm making a particle of sense.
>
> --benson
>

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Stephen Colebourne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Benson Margulies wrote:
>>>
>>> I proposed a lab over at labs in which to start construction of
>>> something much like what commons-primitives describes itself as
>>> setting out to do. The web page for primitives suggests a rather
>>> dormant state. Is there anybody in there actively working on
>>> primitives?
>>
>> I think [primitives] is stable and complete, thus appears rather quiet.
>>
>> I'd also point out Joda-Primitives - http://joda-primitives.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Its a fork of the concept of [primitives] but with an API design I felt more
>> comfortable with. However, I don't have time to work on it (generify,
>> release). I'll grant access to anyone that wants to help on it.
>>
>> Stephen

Re: primitives

James Carman
Good idea, Henri.  I'm +1 to that.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or you could start up a sandbox project. We've had good success with
> ASF committers creating a sandbox branch of a released component, and
> after diving in for a while it's then merged in to trunk where they
> then become one of the most active coders of that component.
>
> So +1 to a sandbox branch to primitives if you have ideas you'd like
> to play with. ASF committers get karma to the sandbox on request, so
> just need you to want to do that and we can add karma.
>
> Hen
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stephen,
>>
>> It's interesting to me that the world in general knows about Trove,
>> but not so much this.
>>
>> The fact that the front page is labelled with a snapshot version might
>> have something to do with it, but I am kind of mystified. One thing
>> that I'd like to add that Trove has is a full generic object hash map
>> that is an open hash to avoid the space bloat of the stock Java
>> HashMap.
>>
>> I am willing to make time to work on this. Since I'm not a committer
>> at commons, I'm thinking that my proposed lab is a reasonable place to
>> put in some effort and then bring it back into commons. Or maybe I
>> should just start teeing up patches at commons? I find that
>> reorganizing changes that might be called for to do generics and such
>> are really clumsy  in patches, so svn cp-ing to a lab might still make
>> sense.
>>
>> I'm copy the labs list to test if I'm making a particle of sense.
>>
>> --benson
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Stephen Colebourne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think [primitives] is stable and complete, thus appears rather quiet.
>>>
>>> I'd also point out Joda-Primitives - http://joda-primitives.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> Its a fork of the concept of [primitives] but with an API design I felt more
>>> comfortable with. However, I don't have time to work on it (generify,
>>> release). I'll grant access to anyone that wants to help on it.
>>>
>>> Stephen

Re: primitives

Benson Margulies
I'm game. Commons, please be so kind as to give me a pail and shovel
in your sandbox, and I'll set to work.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:29 PM, James Carman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good idea, Henri.  I'm +1 to that.
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Or you could start up a sandbox project. We've had good success with
>> ASF committers creating a sandbox branch of a released component, and
>> after diving in for a while it's then merged in to trunk where they
>> then become one of the most active coders of that component.
>>
>> So +1 to a sandbox branch to primitives if you have ideas you'd like
>> to play with. ASF committers get karma to the sandbox on request, so
>> just need you to want to do that and we can add karma.
>>
>> Hen
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Stephen,
>>>
>>> It's interesting to me that the world in general knows about Trove,
>>> but not so much this.
>>>
>>> The fact that the front page is labelled with a snapshot version might
>>> have something to do with it, but I am kind of mystified. One thing
>>> that I'd like to add that Trove has is a full generic object hash map
>>> that is an open hash to avoid the space bloat of the stock Java
>>> HashMap.
>>>
>>> I am willing to make time to work on this. Since I'm not a committer
>>> at commons, I'm thinking that my proposed lab is a reasonable place to
>>> put in some effort and then bring it back into commons. Or maybe I
>>> should just start teeing up patches at commons? I find that
>>> reorganizing changes that might be called for to do generics and such
>>> are really clumsy  in patches, so svn cp-ing to a lab might still make
>>> sense.
>>>
>>> I'm copy the labs list to test if I'm making a particle of sense.
>>>
>>> --benson

Re: primitives

Benson Margulies
Did my email register as a request for sandbox karma?

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or you could start up a sandbox project. We've had good success with
> ASF committers creating a sandbox branch of a released component, and
> after diving in for a while it's then merged in to trunk where they
> then become one of the most active coders of that component.
>
> So +1 to a sandbox branch to primitives if you have ideas you'd like
> to play with. ASF committers get karma to the sandbox on request, so
> just need you to want to do that and we can add karma.
>
> Hen
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stephen,
>>
>> It's interesting to me that the world in general knows about Trove,
>> but not so much this.
>>
>> The fact that the front page is labelled with a snapshot version might
>> have something to do with it, but I am kind of mystified. One thing
>> that I'd like to add that Trove has is a full generic object hash map
>> that is an open hash to avoid the space bloat of the stock Java
>> HashMap.
>>
>> I am willing to make time to work on this. Since I'm not a committer
>> at commons, I'm thinking that my proposed lab is a reasonable place to
>> put in some effort and then bring it back into commons. Or maybe I
>> should just start teeing up patches at commons? I find that
>> reorganizing changes that might be called for to do generics and such
>> are really clumsy  in patches, so svn cp-ing to a lab might still make
>> sense.
>>
>> I'm copy the labs list to test if I'm making a particle of sense.
>>
>> --benson
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Stephen Colebourne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think [primitives] is stable and complete, thus appears rather quiet.
>>>
>>> I'd also point out Joda-Primitives - http://joda-primitives.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> Its a fork of the concept of [primitives] but with an API design I felt more
>>> comfortable with. However, I don't have time to work on it (generify,
>>> release). I'll grant access to anyone that wants to help on it.
>>>
>>> Stephen

Re: primitives

Rahul Akolkar
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Or you could start up a sandbox project. We've had good success with
> ASF committers creating a sandbox branch of a released component, and
> after diving in for a while it's then merged in to trunk where they
> then become one of the most active coders of that component.
>
> So +1 to a sandbox branch to primitives if you have ideas you'd like
> to play with. ASF committers get karma to the sandbox on request, so
> just need you to want to do that and we can add karma.

<snip/>

It occurs to me we don't say the above sandbox karma bit on the site,
or atleast not prominently enough. I will add that to the sandbox page
(when I get a chance).

-Rahul

> Hen
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Benson Margulies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Stephen,
>>
>> It's interesting to me that the world in general knows about Trove,
>> but not so much this.
>>
>> The fact that the front page is labelled with a snapshot version might
>> have something to do with it, but I am kind of mystified. One thing
>> that I'd like to add that Trove has is a full generic object hash map
>> that is an open hash to avoid the space bloat of the stock Java
>> HashMap.
>>
>> I am willing to make time to work on this. Since I'm not a committer
>> at commons, I'm thinking that my proposed lab is a reasonable place to
>> put in some effort and then bring it back into commons. Or maybe I
>> should just start teeing up patches at commons? I find that
>> reorganizing changes that might be called for to do generics and such
>> are really clumsy  in patches, so svn cp-ing to a lab might still make
>> sense.
>>
>> I'm copy the labs list to test if I'm making a particle of sense.
>>
>> --benson
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Stephen Colebourne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think [primitives] is stable and complete, thus appears rather quiet.
>>>
>>> I'd also point out Joda-Primitives - http://joda-primitives.sourceforge.net/
>>>
>>> Its a fork of the concept of [primitives] but with an API design I felt more
>>> comfortable with. However, I don't have time to work on it (generify,
>>> release). I'll grant access to anyone that wants to help on it.
>>>
>>> Stephen

Re: primitives

Benson Margulies
Yes, thank you, can I please have the karma :-)