[rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

[rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

garydgregory
Hi All,

It appears that Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has been released into the wild
(our Maven repo AND Maven Central) without approval by the Apache Commons
PMC.

I will create an INFRA ticket to delete this release from Apache
repositories. If any one knows if there is a process for Maven Central,
please chime in.

I propose that we burn the 0.4.0 version label and move immediately to
0.4.1-SNAPSHOT or 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT.

Affected Maven Coords

Version:
0.4.0

GroupID:
org.apache.commons.

Artifact IDs:
commons-rdf-api
commons-rdf-examples
commons-rdf-integration-tests
commons-rdf-jena
commons-rdf-jsonld-java
commons-rdf-rdf4j
commons-rdf-simple

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

garydgregory
Tracking here:

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It appears that Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has been released into the wild
> (our Maven repo AND Maven Central) without approval by the Apache Commons
> PMC.
>
> I will create an INFRA ticket to delete this release from Apache
> repositories. If any one knows if there is a process for Maven Central,
> please chime in.
>
> I propose that we burn the 0.4.0 version label and move immediately to
> 0.4.1-SNAPSHOT or 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Affected Maven Coords
>
> Version:
> 0.4.0
>
> GroupID:
> org.apache.commons.
>
> Artifact IDs:
> commons-rdf-api
> commons-rdf-examples
> commons-rdf-integration-tests
> commons-rdf-jena
> commons-rdf-jsonld-java
> commons-rdf-rdf4j
> commons-rdf-simple

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

Rob Tompkins
Maven central issue tracker:

https://issues.sonatype.org/projects/OSSRH/issues/OSSRH-27969?filter=allopenissues

-Rob

> On Oct 30, 2017, at 10:34 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tracking here:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:18 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It appears that Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has been released into the wild
>> (our Maven repo AND Maven Central) without approval by the Apache Commons
>> PMC.
>>
>> I will create an INFRA ticket to delete this release from Apache
>> repositories. If any one knows if there is a process for Maven Central,
>> please chime in.
>>
>> I propose that we burn the 0.4.0 version label and move immediately to
>> 0.4.1-SNAPSHOT or 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT.
>>
>> Affected Maven Coords
>>
>> Version:
>> 0.4.0
>>
>> GroupID:
>> org.apache.commons.
>>
>> Artifact IDs:
>> commons-rdf-api
>> commons-rdf-examples
>> commons-rdf-integration-tests
>> commons-rdf-jena
>> commons-rdf-jsonld-java
>> commons-rdf-rdf4j
>> commons-rdf-simple
>>

>> Gary

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

Sergio Fernández
Hi Gary,

I had an issue with the staging repository while preparing RC1 (see another
thread why I didn't continue with the process). But I chatted with INFRA,
so they fixed my error last night few seconds after. So the artifacts
shouldn't continue, in theory. I'm going to double-check what happened
there and come back to you in the next hours.

Apologize for the mistake.

Best,

On Oct 30, 2017 07:18, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank Rob, tracking at Sonatype:
https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-35574

Gary

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> >> I will create an INFRA ticket to delete this release from Apache
> >> repositories. If any one knows if there is a process for Maven Central,
> >> please chime in.
> >>
> >> I propose that we burn the 0.4.0 version label and move immediately to
> >> 0.4.1-SNAPSHOT or 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT.
> >>
> >> Affected Maven Coords
> >>
> >> Version:
> >> 0.4.0
> >>
> >> GroupID:
> >> org.apache.commons.
> >>
> >> Artifact IDs:
> >> commons-rdf-api
> >> commons-rdf-examples
> >> commons-rdf-integration-tests
> >> commons-rdf-jena
> >> commons-rdf-jsonld-java
> >> commons-rdf-rdf4j
> >> commons-rdf-simple
> >>

> >> Gary

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

Gary,

as I said at INFRA-15404, I'm not really sure that the invalid artifacts
landed to Maven Central.

I'll chat about the issue with INFRA and update here.

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank Rob, tracking at Sonatype:
> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-35574
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Maven central issue tracker:
> >
> > https://issues.sonatype.org/projects/OSSRH/issues/OSSRH-
> > 27969?filter=allopenissues
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > > On Oct 30, 2017, at 10:34 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Tracking here:
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-15404
> > >
> > > Gary

> wild
> > Commons

> Central,

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

garydgregory
I saw some there this morning. The parent POM is still there
http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.apache.commons%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-rdf-parent%22

Gary

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary,
>
> as I said at INFRA-15404, I'm not really sure that the invalid artifacts
> landed to Maven Central.
>
> I'll chat about the issue with INFRA and update here.
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank Rob, tracking at Sonatype:
> > https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-35574
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Maven central issue tracker:
> > >
> > > https://issues.sonatype.org/projects/OSSRH/issues/OSSRH-
> > > 27969?filter=allopenissues
> > >
> > > -Rob

> [hidden email]>

> > wild
> > > Commons

> > Central,

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

Sergio Fernández
As Joel commented at OSSRH-35574: They may temporary appear in directory
listings as well as search results on search.maven.org, but they shouldn't
be download-able.

I'll keep an eye on it on the next 48 hours, just in case anything else get
synced or so.

Once again, I'd like to apologize for the issue. I though what Gavin early
did was enough to stop the propagation of the non-voted artifacts. I'll
chat with him later to dig more in the causes.

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I saw some there this morning. The parent POM is still there
> http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.
> apache.commons%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-rdf-parent%22
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Gary,
> >
> > as I said at INFRA-15404, I'm not really sure that the invalid artifacts
> > landed to Maven Central.
> >
> > I'll chat about the issue with INFRA and update here.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thank Rob, tracking at Sonatype:
> > > https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-35574
> > >
> > > Gary

> > [hidden email]>

> the
> > > wild

> > > Central,

> immediately

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

garydgregory
In case you had not seen it: http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html

WRT to Nexus, all you need to do before a VOTE is to "Close" a repository
on r.a.o. That makes it available for review.

Gary

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> As Joel commented at OSSRH-35574: They may temporary appear in directory
> listings as well as search results on search.maven.org, but they shouldn't
> be download-able.
>
> I'll keep an eye on it on the next 48 hours, just in case anything else get
> synced or so.
>
> Once again, I'd like to apologize for the issue. I though what Gavin early
> did was enough to stop the propagation of the non-voted artifacts. I'll
> chat with him later to dig more in the causes.
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I saw some there this morning. The parent POM is still there
> > http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.
> > apache.commons%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-rdf-parent%22
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > as I said at INFRA-15404, I'm not really sure that the invalid
> artifacts
> > > landed to Maven Central.
> > >
> > > I'll chat about the issue with INFRA and update here.

> [hidden email]

> > > [hidden email]>

> > the
> Apache

> > immediately

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

Sergio Fernández
Thanks, Gary.

I know the process. We also have it documented at
https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/master/RELEASE-PROCESS.md

But I pressed the wrong button when I was rolling-back because the dist
issue I faced. In short, I screwed-up.

I tried to solve it as soon as it happened. Chatting again with INFRA,
looks like we only removed one artifact, when my idea was to removed all.

One again, I'm really sorry about the problem. Hopefully we catch it early
enough for not having further consequences, right?

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In case you had not seen it: http://commons.apache.org/
> releases/prepare.html
>
> WRT to Nexus, all you need to do before a VOTE is to "Close" a repository
> on r.a.o. That makes it available for review.
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > As Joel commented at OSSRH-35574: They may temporary appear in directory
> > listings as well as search results on search.maven.org, but they
> shouldn't
> > be download-able.
> >
> > I'll keep an eye on it on the next 48 hours, just in case anything else
> get
> > synced or so.
> >
> > Once again, I'd like to apologize for the issue. I though what Gavin
> early
> > did was enough to stop the propagation of the non-voted artifacts. I'll
> > chat with him later to dig more in the causes.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I saw some there this morning. The parent POM is still there
> > > http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Cg%3A%22org.
> > > apache.commons%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-rdf-parent%22
> > >
> > > Gary

> > artifacts

> [hidden email]>

> > [hidden email]

> into
> > > the
> > Apache

> Apache

> > > immediately

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

garydgregory
Yep, all will be 100% OK once all 8 artifacts are gone from r.a.o and MC.

Then you can do it again for 0.5.0.

Based on my experience as a RM, this is not the last mistake you'll make
;-) But heck, how are we supposed to learn? ;-)

Gary

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks, Gary.
>
> I know the process. We also have it documented at
> https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/master/RELEASE-PROCESS.md
>
> But I pressed the wrong button when I was rolling-back because the dist
> issue I faced. In short, I screwed-up.
>
> I tried to solve it as soon as it happened. Chatting again with INFRA,
> looks like we only removed one artifact, when my idea was to removed all.
>
> One again, I'm really sorry about the problem. Hopefully we catch it early
> enough for not having further consequences, right?
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > In case you had not seen it: http://commons.apache.org/
> > releases/prepare.html
> >
> > WRT to Nexus, all you need to do before a VOTE is to "Close" a repository
> > on r.a.o. That makes it available for review.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > As Joel commented at OSSRH-35574: They may temporary appear in
> directory
> > > listings as well as search results on search.maven.org, but they
> > shouldn't
> > > be download-able.
> > >
> > > I'll keep an eye on it on the next 48 hours, just in case anything else
> > get
> > > synced or so.
> > >
> > > Once again, I'd like to apologize for the issue. I though what Gavin
> > early
> > > did was enough to stop the propagation of the non-voted artifacts. I'll
> > > chat with him later to dig more in the causes.

> > > artifacts

> > [hidden email]>

> [hidden email]>

> > > [hidden email]

> > into
> > > Apache

> > Apache
> Maven

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

Sergio Fernández
Completely agree. Thanks, Gary!

So, to wrap this up, the recommendation is that we should skip 0.4.0 and go
directly to 0.5.0 to avoid any issue, right?

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yep, all will be 100% OK once all 8 artifacts are gone from r.a.o and MC.
>
> Then you can do it again for 0.5.0.
>
> Based on my experience as a RM, this is not the last mistake you'll make
> ;-) But heck, how are we supposed to learn? ;-)
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Gary.
> >
> > I know the process. We also have it documented at
> > https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/master/RELEASE-PROCESS.md
> >
> > But I pressed the wrong button when I was rolling-back because the dist
> > issue I faced. In short, I screwed-up.
> >
> > I tried to solve it as soon as it happened. Chatting again with INFRA,
> > looks like we only removed one artifact, when my idea was to removed all.
> >
> > One again, I'm really sorry about the problem. Hopefully we catch it
> early
> > enough for not having further consequences, right?
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In case you had not seen it: http://commons.apache.org/
> > > releases/prepare.html
> > >
> > > WRT to Nexus, all you need to do before a VOTE is to "Close" a
> repository
> > > on r.a.o. That makes it available for review.
> > >
> > > Gary

> > directory
> > > shouldn't

> else
> > > get

> > > early
> I'll

> [hidden email]>

> [hidden email]

> > > [hidden email]>

> > [hidden email]>

> > > into

> > > Apache
> > Maven

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

garydgregory
On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Completely agree. Thanks, Gary!
>
> So, to wrap this up, the recommendation is that we should skip 0.4.0 and go
> directly to 0.5.0 to avoid any issue, right?

Yes. Notice the src/changes/changes.xml file I added and that needs to be
filled in (ideally). Also, I took the liberty of updating the POMs to
version 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT. I also update the folder structure to match the
ArtifactID=ModuleName=DirectoryName convention. Actually, some plugins
might not behave properly if this is not followed IIRC.

Gary

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Yep, all will be 100% OK once all 8 artifacts are gone from r.a.o and MC.
> >
> > Then you can do it again for 0.5.0.
> >
> > Based on my experience as a RM, this is not the last mistake you'll make
> > ;-) But heck, how are we supposed to learn? ;-)
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, Gary.
> > >
> > > I know the process. We also have it documented at
> > > https://github.com/apache/commons-rdf/blob/master/RELEASE-PROCESS.md
> > >
> > > But I pressed the wrong button when I was rolling-back because the dist
> > > issue I faced. In short, I screwed-up.
> > >
> > > I tried to solve it as soon as it happened. Chatting again with INFRA,
> > > looks like we only removed one artifact, when my idea was to removed
> all.
> > >
> > > One again, I'm really sorry about the problem. Hopefully we catch it
> > early
> > > enough for not having further consequences, right?

> > repository

> [hidden email]>

> > > directory

> > else

> Gavin
> > I'll

> > [hidden email]>

> > [hidden email]

> > > [hidden email]>

> released
> the

> from
> > > Maven

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

garydgregory
Also, would you mind updating direct dependencies to their latest versions?
This helps: 'mvn versions:display-dependency-updates'

Gary

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Sergio Fernández <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Completely agree. Thanks, Gary!
>>
>> So, to wrap this up, the recommendation is that we should skip 0.4.0 and
>> go
>> directly to 0.5.0 to avoid any issue, right?
>>

> Yes. Notice the src/changes/changes.xml file I added and that needs to be
> filled in (ideally). Also, I took the liberty of updating the POMs to
> version 0.5.0-SNAPSHOT. I also update the folder structure to match the
> ArtifactID=ModuleName=DirectoryName convention. Actually, some plugins
> might not behave properly if this is not followed IIRC.
>
> Gary
>

>> On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Yep, all will be 100% OK once all 8 artifacts are gone from r.a.o and
>> MC.
>> >
>> > Then you can do it again for 0.5.0.
>> >
>> > Based on my experience as a RM, this is not the last mistake you'll make
>> > ;-) But heck, how are we supposed to learn? ;-)
>> >
>> > Gary

>> dist

>> all.

>> > early

>> > repository

>> [hidden email]>

>> > else

>> Gavin
>> > I'll

>> > [hidden email]>

>> > [hidden email]

>> released
>> the

>> from
>> for

Re: [rdf] Apache Commons RDF 0.4.0 has NOT been approved by the Commons PMC

Sergio Fernández
Sure, I'll do a full check on the whole dependency tree.

Thanks for all the changes introduced to master.