[rng] Cleanup of "topic" branches

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

If they are not used anymore, can we remove the following
branches:
   RNG-7
   RNG-7a
   checkstyle
?

Re: [rng] Cleanup of "topic" branches

garydgregory
Once a branch has been merged into master, I think it is OK to remove it.
Otherwise, IMO it's on a case by case basis: Does the author of the branch
need it?

Gary

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> If they are not used anymore, can we remove the following
> branches:
>   RNG-7
>   RNG-7a
>   checkstyle
> ?

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [rng] Cleanup of "topic" branches

Artem Barger
Yes, these can branches can be removed, actually I can take care of it.

Отправлено с iPhone

> 11 сент. 2016 г., в 18:32, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> написал(а):
>
> Once a branch has been merged into master, I think it is OK to remove it.
> Otherwise, IMO it's on a case by case basis: Does the author of the branch
> need it?
>
> Gary
>
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> If they are not used anymore, can we remove the following
>> branches:
>>  RNG-7
>>  RNG-7a
>>  checkstyle
>> ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gilles

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [rng] Cleanup of "topic" branches

+1 for removal.

> On Sep 11, 2016, at 11:32 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Once a branch has been merged into master, I think it is OK to remove it.
> Otherwise, IMO it's on a case by case basis: Does the author of the branch
> need it?
>
> Gary
>
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> If they are not used anymore, can we remove the following
>> branches:
>>  RNG-7
>>  RNG-7a
>>  checkstyle
>> ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gilles

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [rng] Cleanup of "topic" branches

jochen-2
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Once a branch has been merged into master, I think it is OK to remove it.
> Otherwise, IMO it's on a case by case basis: Does the author of the branch
> need it?

Whats the point? I'd rather see us create something like
branches/archived and move such branches below.

Basically same effect, but provides accessibility.

Jochen

On Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:26:03 +0200, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Gary Gregory
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Once a branch has been merged into master, I think it is OK to
>> remove it.
>> Otherwise, IMO it's on a case by case basis: Does the author of the
>> branch
>> need it?
>
> Whats the point? I'd rather see us create something like
> branches/archived and move such branches below.
>
> Basically same effect, but provides accessibility.

I don't think there is any use for those branches that are
created for the sake of fixing one issue.

The history is fully preserved inside the "master" branch.

Keeping topic branches is just a mess (and after some time
nobody will know was was the purpose of those).

I deleted all the branches I've created; my question was
being polite (i.e. do not delete branches created by others
without asking first. ;-)

> Jochen

Re: [rng] Cleanup of "topic" branches

Dave Brosius-2
i'm not sure what the value of dead branch labels hanging around is.
They just clutter things up and confuse new people coming it as to what
to use. I'm +1 for deleting them.

On 09/11/2016 02:26 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:32 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Once a branch has been merged into master, I think it is OK to remove it.
>> Otherwise, IMO it's on a case by case basis: Does the author of the branch
>> need it?
> Whats the point? I'd rather see us create something like
> branches/archived and move such branches below.
>
> Basically same effect, but provides accessibility.
>
> Jochen

Re: [rng] Cleanup of "topic" branches

Artem Barger
I've deleted these branches.