[transaction] Is this component really useful?

[transaction] Is this component really useful?

Oliver Zeigermann-2
Folks!

Does anyone really *need* transactional file operations?

Doesn't the existing commons transaction implementation add way too
much complexity to your applications?

Couldn't you just write to the files and programmatically keep the
previous version for recovery from fatal errors?

I'd really appreciate honest comments.

Cheers

Oliver

Re: [transaction] Is this component really useful?

David J. M. Karlsen
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:

> Folks!
>
> Does anyone really *need* transactional file operations?
>
> Doesn't the existing commons transaction implementation add way too
> much complexity to your applications?
>
> Couldn't you just write to the files and programmatically keep the
> previous version for recovery from fatal errors?
>
> I'd really appreciate honest comments.
I've been using it to write to open a stream with an transaction,
writing to this, and rolling it back if some sort of error occured - so
that the output of the program was consistent per file (which was per
user - in a dataconversion program).
I could probably have done this by hand - but it was helpful to me in
this usecase.

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com