using FTPClient send Command - upper case used?

using FTPClient send Command - upper case used?

pam withnall
Hi,
My main objective is to run some Unix commands on a remote server. As I
am already using commons.net.FTPClient to move some files, I saw the
method sendCommand(String).
I used  getReplyString to find out what was happening, and my server
couldn't find the command because it was in upper case!

I also tried  RExecClient.rexec(login,pwd,command);
but cannot see that it is working.
Thanks. Pam.

RE: using FTPClient send Command - upper case used?

Kurt Kurniawan

Hi,

Can you give more explanation of what do you want to do with yours ?
I use HP-UX as my server, never have this problem.

If the return is uppercase, you should be able to change the String returned to uppercase easily. with toUpperCase() ?
if the command is lowercase you can change with toLowerCase() ?

Kurt Kurniawan

RE: using FTPClient send Command - upper case used?

pam withnall
Ok, I'll send you the code and the reply.
I send lower case and even added toLowerCase() , 'just in case',
But the server thinks its uppercase "Unknown command EDISEND" .

****************code*********************
                        System.out.println("Current working directory "
+ ftp.printWorkingDirectory());
                        System.out.println("Doing command " + command);
                        int result =
ftp.sendCommand(command.toLowerCase());
                        System.out.println("result of command " +
command + "  is :" +result);
                        System.out.println(new
Integer(ftp.getReplyCode()).toString());
                        System.out.println(ftp.getReplyString());

*****output********************
Current working directory /data/tradexpress/users/onestop/tmp/edifact
Doing command edisend dispatch_UBM_EB
result of command edisend dispatch_UBM_EB  is :500
500
500 Unknown command EDISEND
***********************************

You can only send a specific command as listed in the doc.

Pls have a look at the API doc:

org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPCommand

So if you do:

ftp.sendCommand("list");

it should work. Your command is not a valid FTP command.

If you want to execute a remote command to UNIX you have to use RCommandClient()

Please again read the API doc. It explains to you how to use it. Make sure you can make this work with your normal command (using rsh). You need permission to be set in the .rhost file and you need to be valid user in the box. Please talk to your UNIX admin for this details. They should understand how to setup rsh.

Good luck !

Kurt Kurniawan

Ok, I'll send you the code and the reply.
I send lower case and even added toLowerCase() , 'just in case',
But the server thinks its uppercase "Unknown command EDISEND" .

****************code*********************
                        System.out.println("Current working directory "
+ ftp.printWorkingDirectory());
                        System.out.println("Doing command " + command);
                        int result =
ftp.sendCommand(command.toLowerCase());
                        System.out.println("result of command " +
command + "  is :" +result);
                        System.out.println(new
Integer(ftp.getReplyCode()).toString());
                        System.out.println(ftp.getReplyString());

*****output********************
Current working directory /data/tradexpress/users/onestop/tmp/edifact
Doing command edisend dispatch_UBM_EB
result of command edisend dispatch_UBM_EB  is :500
500
500 Unknown command EDISEND
***********************************

I thought that might have been the case,
I found that rexec worked manually, so that I also tried

                        RExecClient rec = new RExecClient();
                        rec.connect(host);
                        assertTrue("Is not connected to " +
host,rec.isConnected()); // yes , its JUnit
                        NonWebUtils.log("Is connected to " + host);
                        rec.rexec(login,pwd,command);
                        rec.disconnect();

But, I don't think it worked.
Is there a sample for this, to get feedback from the server?
Ta.

I never try to use rexec. But I use remsh.

These some snippet from the code

 RCommandClient remsh=new RCommandClient();
                try{
                        remsh.connect("remote_server",RCommandClient.DEFAULT_PORT);
                        remsh.rcommand("somename","somename","ls -al");

                }catch(Exception e){
                        //throw some error msgs.

                        System.out.println("An error has occurred when executing the remsh: "+e);
                }
       InputStream in=remsh.getInputStream();

                if(in==null){
                        in=remsh.getErrorStream();
                }

                String message=parseISToString(in);
                System.out.println("from the server: "+message);

I've tried the code and it works. You just have to make sure you have access to the machine as the user:somename
and can do remsh from your other machine that runs the code.

Good Luck !

Kurt Kurniawan