[validator] EmailValidator 1.4.1 returns true for some invalid(?) email addresses

[validator] EmailValidator 1.4.1 returns true for some invalid(?) email addresses

Dave Hammond
The EmailValidator.java isValid routine was changed in version 1.4.1 and now
returns true for email addresses like these:

user@com

user@gmail

Are these valid email address forms?

Re: [validator] EmailValidator 1.4.1 returns true for some invalid(?) email addresses

Ayoma Wijethunga
Hi Dave,

Mentioned email addresses are valid and they are mailboxes for TLD users
("gmail" is a valid TLD - http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt)

Please check following :

Bug report : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VALIDATOR-273
RFC: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-2.3.5   * (states : In the
case of a top-level domain used by itself in an email address, a single
string is used without any dots.)*

Best Regards,
Ayoma.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Dave Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The EmailValidator.java isValid routine was changed in version 1.4.1 and
> now
> returns true for email addresses like these:
>

> user@com
>
> user@gmail
>

> Are these valid email address forms?

RE: [validator] EmailValidator 1.4.1 returns true for some invalid(?) email addresses

Dave Hammond
Hi Ayoma,

RFC 5321 goes on to say, "This makes the requirement, described in more detail below, that only fully-qualified domain names appear in SMTP transactions on the public Internet, particularly important where top-level domains are involved."

Does EmailValidator provide a way to validate an email address is valid for use on the public Internet?

Thanks,

Dave

case of a top-level domain used by itself in an email address, a single string is used without any dots.)*

Best Regards,
Ayoma.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Dave Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The EmailValidator.java isValid routine was changed in version 1.4.1
> and now returns true for email addresses like these:
>

> user@com
>
> user@gmail
>

> Are these valid email address forms?

RE: [validator] EmailValidator 1.4.1 returns true for some invalid(?) email addresses

Shriver, Daniel
How could it possibly do that?

Or to put it another way "[hidden email]" is valid (RFC wise) without even the top level rule.  Does any validator check that it is a real email address?

case of a top-level domain used by itself in an email address, a single string is used without any dots.)*

Best Regards,
Ayoma.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Dave Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The EmailValidator.java isValid routine was changed in version 1.4.1
> and now returns true for email addresses like these:
>

> user@com
>
> user@gmail
>

> Are these valid email address forms?

RE: [validator] EmailValidator 1.4.1 returns true for some invalid(?) email addresses

Dave Hammond
I’m sorry. I should have asked, “Does EmailValidator provide a way to validate an email address has a valid form for use on the public Internet?”

The latest update to EmailValidator now reports some email addresses as valid, such as, user@gmail, that were previously reported as invalid. If I understand correctly, email addresses in this form are not valid for use on the public Internet even if the part after ‘@’ is a valid top-level domain.