[validator] moving to jdk 8 / git?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[validator] moving to jdk 8 / git?

Eitan Adler
I'd like to make some simple changes to Commons Validator. It seems it
hasn't been touched for some time and I am not sure what the process
to deal with this is.

If we wanted to do that, what would it take? Could I help?

--
Eitan Adler

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [validator] moving to jdk 8 / git?

garydgregory
The best way to contribute is with GitHub PRs here:
https://github.com/apache/commons-validator/

Gary

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Eitan Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to make some simple changes to Commons Validator. It seems it
> hasn't been touched for some time and I am not sure what the process
> to deal with this is.
>
> If we wanted to do that, what would it take? Could I help?
>
> --
> Eitan Adler
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [validator] moving to jdk 8 / git?

Eitan Adler
(please make sure to include me directly on email; the Apache Commons
Dev list appears to be broken)

In terms of moving to JDK 8, it seems like it it'd warrant more of a
discussion first. Other Commons projects wanted to a do a "final
release" for the previous JDK version.  I'm not sure if I could help
shepherd that or not.

In terms of moving to git: while github PRs for mirrored repositories
are alright, it'd be better if the canonical repo was in git, so you
don't lose fidelity by transferring between systems. This also does
not seem like something viable to do via a PR.


On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 14:42, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> The best way to contribute is with GitHub PRs here:
> https://github.com/apache/commons-validator/
>
> Gary
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Eitan Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to make some simple changes to Commons Validator. It seems it
> > hasn't been touched for some time and I am not sure what the process
> > to deal with this is.
> >
> > If we wanted to do that, what would it take? Could I help?
> >
> > --
> > Eitan Adler
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >



--
Eitan Adler

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [validator] moving to jdk 8 / git?

sebb-2-2
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 at 01:30, Eitan Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (please make sure to include me directly on email; the Apache Commons
> Dev list appears to be broken)

You are subscribed to dev (and other commons lists), see:
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/eax

Please contact Infra ([hidden email]) with details of the problem.
I know they are dealing with another mail delivery issue at present.

> In terms of moving to JDK 8, it seems like it it'd warrant more of a
> discussion first. Other Commons projects wanted to a do a "final
> release" for the previous JDK version.  I'm not sure if I could help
> shepherd that or not.

What is it about JDK 8 that warrants updating the minimum version for
this particular component?

> In terms of moving to git: while github PRs for mirrored repositories
> are alright, it'd be better if the canonical repo was in git, so you
> don't lose fidelity by transferring between systems. This also does
> not seem like something viable to do via a PR.
>
>
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 at 14:42, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The best way to contribute is with GitHub PRs here:
> > https://github.com/apache/commons-validator/
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 2:30 PM Eitan Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to make some simple changes to Commons Validator. It seems it
> > > hasn't been touched for some time and I am not sure what the process
> > > to deal with this is.
> > >
> > > If we wanted to do that, what would it take? Could I help?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Eitan Adler
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > >
> > >
>
>
>
> --
> Eitan Adler
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [validator] moving to jdk 8 / git?

Eitan Adler
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 at 03:38, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please contact Infra ([hidden email]) with details of the problem.
> I know they are dealing with another mail delivery issue at present.

Will do.

> > In terms of moving to JDK 8, it seems like it it'd warrant more of a
> > discussion first. Other Commons projects wanted to a do a "final
> > release" for the previous JDK version.  I'm not sure if I could help
> > shepherd that or not.
>
> What is it about JDK 8 that warrants updating the minimum version for
> this particular component?

A mixture of reasons:
- I'd like to use modern syntax. While I wouldn't mass change anything
(see other thread) there are many cases in the current code base that
could be clearer or have reduced code.
- the other commons modules have moved and there is value to consistency



--
Eitan Adler

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]