[vfs] Is VFS2 suitable for production use?

[vfs] Is VFS2 suitable for production use?

Jurrie Overgoor
Hello everyone,

At the moment, my team is using Apache VFS2 in production. We use it for
HTTP(S) and for (S)FTP. However, we are having some problems with this.

SFTP is implemented using JSCH. That project now seems abandoned. I had
to cook up my own fix for issue JSCH-111 (see
https://github.com/Jurrie/jsch-111-bugfix).

HTTP(S) is implemented using Apache Httpclient 3.x, which is end of life
(see https://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/). Its replacement is Apache
HttpComponents, but that is not a plug-and-play direct replacement.

That leads me to wonder whether Apache VFS2 is still under active
development? Are there any plans to fix the above things? Is it still
advised to use Apache VSF2 in production software?

With kind regards,

Jurrie

Re: [vfs] Is VFS2 suitable for production use?

garydgregory
VFS is stable and maintained. Feel free to provide PRs :-)

Gary

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018, 03:00 Jurrie Overgoor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> At the moment, my team is using Apache VFS2 in production. We use it for
> HTTP(S) and for (S)FTP. However, we are having some problems with this.
>
> SFTP is implemented using JSCH. That project now seems abandoned. I had
> to cook up my own fix for issue JSCH-111 (see
> https://github.com/Jurrie/jsch-111-bugfix).
>
> HTTP(S) is implemented using Apache Httpclient 3.x, which is end of life
> (see https://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/). Its replacement is Apache
> HttpComponents, but that is not a plug-and-play direct replacement.
>
> That leads me to wonder whether Apache VFS2 is still under active
> development? Are there any plans to fix the above things? Is it still
> advised to use Apache VSF2 in production software?
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Jurrie

Re: [vfs] Is VFS2 suitable for production use?

Matt Sicker
There have been suggestions in the past for a v3, so if you search the
mailing lists, you may find a good place to start.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 07:15, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> VFS is stable and maintained. Feel free to provide PRs :-)
>
> Gary
>
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2018, 03:00 Jurrie Overgoor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > At the moment, my team is using Apache VFS2 in production. We use it for
> > HTTP(S) and for (S)FTP. However, we are having some problems with this.
> >
> > SFTP is implemented using JSCH. That project now seems abandoned. I had
> > to cook up my own fix for issue JSCH-111 (see
> > https://github.com/Jurrie/jsch-111-bugfix).
> >
> > HTTP(S) is implemented using Apache Httpclient 3.x, which is end of life
> > (see https://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/). Its replacement is Apache
> > HttpComponents, but that is not a plug-and-play direct replacement.
> >
> > That leads me to wonder whether Apache VFS2 is still under active
> > development? Are there any plans to fix the above things? Is it still
> > advised to use Apache VSF2 in production software?
> >
> > With kind regards,
> >
> > Jurrie

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>