[vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Mario Ivankovits
Hi!

After so many RCs I really think its time to take a break and release
what we have now.
VFS is stable and in daily use. Some enhancements waiting just too long
for this release to get implemented for 1.1.

As previously posted please find the RC6 at
http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs

Please vote:

[ ] +1 release RC6 as 1.0
[ ] -1 take some additional time

Thanks!
Mario

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Oliver Heger-2
Everything looks good to me. But when I tried building with ant the
jakarta-slide-webdavlib could not be loaded resulting in compile errors
(with maven build was successful). Is this is a problem with build.xml?

When this problem is fixed (or if you confirm that this is not an
issue), I am +1.

Oliver

Oliver Heger wrote:
> Everything looks good to me. But when I tried building with ant the
> jakarta-slide-webdavlib could not be loaded resulting in compile
> errors (with maven build was successful). Is this is a problem with
> build.xml?
The problem is, that the webdavlib is not on ibiblio, but my maven
generated build.xml points to it.
Maven itself is able to look at multiple reporitories.

I can manually edit the build.xml, should I?

---

Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> I can manually edit the build.xml, should I?
Ok, answered myself - its fixed now.

Thanks!

---
Mario

Re: [all][vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Mario Ivankovits
*scared*, only one +1 after three days :-o

I hope you all are busy checking the code, arent you?

Added [all] to this post, maybe you setup some filtering.

> Hi!
>
> After so many RCs I really think its time to take a break and release
> what we have now.
> VFS is stable and in daily use. Some enhancements waiting just too
> long for this release to get implemented for 1.1.
>
> As previously posted please find the RC6 at
> http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs
>
> Please vote:
>
> [ ] +1 release RC6 as 1.0
> [ ] -1 take some additional time

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Robert Enyedi

I have limited experience with VFS and haven't reviewed all the code yet but
in it's current state it looks to me pretty stable. And there aren't major
bugs either (5 open bugs when last checked).

This is why I vote for shipping RC6 as 1.0 final so that work can start for
1.1.

Regards,
Robert

On 11/9/05, Mario Ivankovits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> After so many RCs I really think its time to take a break and release
> what we have now.
> VFS is stable and in daily use. Some enhancements waiting just too long
> for this release to get implemented for 1.1.
>
> As previously posted please find the RC6 at
> http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs
>
> Please vote:
>
> [ ] +1 release RC6 as 1.0
> [ ] -1 take some additional time
>

> Thanks!
> Mario

Re: [all][vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Filip Defoort
I'm ++1 (non-committer) on releasing it 1.0, I've checked the RC5, but
haven't
had a chance to check the RC6 yet...

- Filip

> *scared*, only one +1 after three days :-o
>
> I hope you all are busy checking the code, arent you?
>
> Added [all] to this post, maybe you setup some filtering.
>> Hi!
>>
>> After so many RCs I really think its time to take a break and release
>> what we have now.
>> VFS is stable and in daily use. Some enhancements waiting just too
>> long for this release to get implemented for 1.1.
>>
>> As previously posted please find the RC6 at
>> http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs
>>
>> Please vote:
>>
>> [ ] +1 release RC6 as 1.0
>> [ ] -1 take some additional time

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Dion Gillard-2

On 11/9/05, Mario Ivankovits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> After so many RCs I really think its time to take a break and release
> what we have now.
> VFS is stable and in daily use. Some enhancements waiting just too long
> for this release to get implemented for 1.1.
>
> As previously posted please find the RC6 at
> http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs
>
> Please vote:
>
> [ ] +1 release RC6 as 1.0
> [ ] -1 take some additional time
>

> Thanks!
> Mario

Bernard Shaw

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Stephen Colebourne
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Please vote:
>
> [ ] +1 release RC6 as 1.0
> [ ] -1 take some additional time

The release notes cover changes in RCs. For a 1.0 release, the release
notes should be clean and state that this is the first full release
(except if the software is already in really widespread use). There is
no real need to detail other changes unless you feel its essential.

The text files included in the release are all unix line endings. This
causes windows downloaders no end of trouble as we (unlike unix
developers) don't have easy access to eol dos2unix. One popular solution
is for zips to be windows eol, and tars to be unix. This requires a
custom ant script not a maven generated one

The jar was built with JDK1.4. Are targetting only JDK1.4? If you target
1.2/1.3, then it is possible that your jar won't work. I recommend
compiling using the earliest JDK possible.

As is, my vote is -0.

Stephen

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Mario Ivankovits
Hi Stephen!

Thanks for your review.

> The release notes cover changes in RCs. For a 1.0 release, the release
> notes should be clean and state that this is the first full release
> (except if the software is already in really widespread use). There is
> no real need to detail other changes unless you feel its essential.
Ok, I'll clean it up if I create the 1.0 jar.

> The text files included in the release are all unix line endings. This
> causes windows downloaders no end of trouble as we (unlike unix
> developers) don't have easy access to eol dos2unix. One popular
> solution is for zips to be windows eol, and tars to be unix. This
> requires a custom ant script not a maven generated one
I've checked "collections", "httpclient", "net", "transaction" and
"configuration". Only "collections" provide such a "service".
Every major IDE is able to handle those files, and even text editors
(other than notepad) on windows are able to view such files.

However, if we would like to start having this now I am willing to do
so, what do other developers say?
If we do so, I would like to see some support for this in maven as I use
maven for distribution.

> The jar was built with JDK1.4. Are targetting only JDK1.4? If you
> target 1.2/1.3, then it is possible that your jar won't work. I
> recommend compiling using the earliest JDK possible.
Sure, but e.g. commons-net 1.4.0 was built with 1.4 too (+target 1.4),
and thus I cant use the 1.3 compiler as the build will fail if I do so.
As far as I know the next NET version will be able to use target 1.3
again, then I'll revert to use a java 1.3 compiler with maven too.
Anyway, VFS uses target=1.3 and I use the jdk 1.3 libraries during
development - so if your setup is correct (xml apis, java crypto, ...)
it should work.

Ciao,

Mario Ivankovits wrote:
>> The jar was built with JDK1.4. Are targetting only JDK1.4? If you
>> target 1.2/1.3, then it is possible that your jar won't work. I
>> recommend compiling using the earliest JDK possible.
>
> Sure, but e.g. commons-net 1.4.0 was built with 1.4 too (+target 1.4),
> and thus I cant use the 1.3 compiler as the build will fail if I do so.

Sounds like a new [net] is needed pronto.

> As far as I know the next NET version will be able to use target 1.3
> again, then I'll revert to use a java 1.3 compiler with maven too.
> Anyway, VFS uses target=1.3 and I use the jdk 1.3 libraries during
> development - so if your setup is correct (xml apis, java crypto, ...)
> it should work.
No. Not necessarily. See
http://jroller.com/page/scolebourne?entry=compiling_for_older_jdks

I think that the bootclasspath is what you need to solve the inability
to use [net] from 1.3 issue too.

Stephen

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Phil Steitz
On 11/13/05, Mario Ivankovits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stephen!
>
> Thanks for your review.
>
> > The release notes cover changes in RCs. For a 1.0 release, the release
> > notes should be clean and state that this is the first full release
> > (except if the software is already in really widespread use). There is
> > no real need to detail other changes unless you feel its essential.
> Ok, I'll clean it up if I create the 1.0 jar.
>
> > The text files included in the release are all unix line endings. This
> > causes windows downloaders no end of trouble as we (unlike unix
> > developers) don't have easy access to eol dos2unix. One popular
> > solution is for zips to be windows eol, and tars to be unix. This
> > requires a custom ant script not a maven generated one
> I've checked "collections", "httpclient", "net", "transaction" and
> "configuration". Only "collections" provide such a "service".
> Every major IDE is able to handle those files, and even text editors
> (other than notepad) on windows are able to view such files.
>
> However, if we would like to start having this now I am willing to do
> so, what do other developers say?
> If we do so, I would like to see some support for this in maven as I use
> maven for distribution.

This is being tracked as MPDIST-27.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPDIST-27

Phil

On 11/14/05, Mario Ivankovits <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stephen!
>

> > The jar was built with JDK1.4. Are targetting only JDK1.4? If you
> > target 1.2/1.3, then it is possible that your jar won't work. I
> > recommend compiling using the earliest JDK possible.
> Sure, but e.g. commons-net 1.4.0 was built with 1.4 too (+target 1.4),
> and thus I cant use the 1.3 compiler as the build will fail if I do so.
> As far as I know the next NET version will be able to use target 1.3
> again, then I'll revert to use a java 1.3 compiler with maven too.
> Anyway, VFS uses target=1.3 and I use the jdk 1.3 libraries during
> development - so if your setup is correct (xml apis, java crypto, ...)
> it should work.

If at all possible, it's better to get commons-net fixed as well :-)

And if you can, compile with 1.3, rather than 1.4 if you are
targetting 1.3, as there are methods that can creep into a 1.4
compiler that wont be available in 1.3.

Bernard Shaw

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

robert burrell donkin
On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 19:16 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> >> The jar was built with JDK1.4. Are targetting only JDK1.4? If you
> >> target 1.2/1.3, then it is possible that your jar won't work. I
> >> recommend compiling using the earliest JDK possible.
> >
> > Sure, but e.g. commons-net 1.4.0 was built with 1.4 too (+target 1.4),
> > and thus I cant use the 1.3 compiler as the build will fail if I do so.
>
> Sounds like a new [net] is needed pronto.

+1

> > As far as I know the next NET version will be able to use target 1.3
> > again, then I'll revert to use a java 1.3 compiler with maven too.
> > Anyway, VFS uses target=1.3 and I use the jdk 1.3 libraries during
> > development - so if your setup is correct (xml apis, java crypto, ...)
> > it should work.
> No. Not necessarily. See
> http://jroller.com/page/scolebourne?entry=compiling_for_older_jdks
>
> I think that the bootclasspath is what you need to solve the inability
> to use [net] from 1.3 issue too.

+1

is this issue covered well enough in the release documentation?

- robert

On 11/13/05, robert burrell donkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Sure, but e.g. commons-net 1.4.0 was built with 1.4 too (+target 1.4),
> > > and thus I cant use the 1.3 compiler as the build will fail if I do so.
> >
> > Sounds like a new [net] is needed pronto.
>
> +1
>
> > > As far as I know the next NET version will be able to use target 1.3
> > > again, then I'll revert to use a java 1.3 compiler with maven too.
> > > Anyway, VFS uses target=1.3 and I use the jdk 1.3 libraries during
> > > development - so if your setup is correct (xml apis, java crypto, ...)
> > > it should work.
> > No. Not necessarily. See
> > http://jroller.com/page/scolebourne?entry=compiling_for_older_jdks
> >
> > I think that the bootclasspath is what you need to solve the inability
> > to use [net] from 1.3 issue too.
>
> +1
>
> is this issue covered well enough in the release documentation?

See the "Check Class File Format" section in
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html

Assuming all agree that compilation itself *must* be done on the
lowest supported jdk, the text there should be updated to make that
requirement explicit.   I will update the docs if we can agree on a
reasonable way to do this using maven, as well as ant.

Phil

On 11/13/05, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/13/05, Mario Ivankovits <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Stephen!
> >
> > Thanks for your review.
> >
> > > The release notes cover changes in RCs. For a 1.0 release, the release
> > > notes should be clean and state that this is the first full release
> > > (except if the software is already in really widespread use). There is
> > > no real need to detail other changes unless you feel its essential.
> > Ok, I'll clean it up if I create the 1.0 jar.
> >
> > > The text files included in the release are all unix line endings. This
> > > causes windows downloaders no end of trouble as we (unlike unix
> > > developers) don't have easy access to eol dos2unix. One popular
> > > solution is for zips to be windows eol, and tars to be unix. This
> > > requires a custom ant script not a maven generated one
> > I've checked "collections", "httpclient", "net", "transaction" and
> > "configuration". Only "collections" provide such a "service".
> > Every major IDE is able to handle those files, and even text editors
> > (other than notepad) on windows are able to view such files.
> >
> > However, if we would like to start having this now I am willing to do
> > so, what do other developers say?
> > If we do so, I would like to see some support for this in maven as I use
> > maven for distribution.
>
> This is being tracked as MPDIST-27.
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPDIST-27

Has now been fixed in svn.
So if you checkout the latest maven 1 dist plugin sources from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/dist/
and then do
maven plugin:install from the dist plugin directory, maven dist will
put windows style line endings in the zips.

Phil

Re: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Dion Gillard-2
Is there a problem with getting a release of the plugin?

On 11/14/05, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/13/05, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 11/13/05, Mario Ivankovits <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Stephen!
> > >
> > > Thanks for your review.

> > > Ok, I'll clean it up if I create the 1.0 jar.

> > > I've checked "collections", "httpclient", "net", "transaction" and
> > > "configuration". Only "collections" provide such a "service".
> > > Every major IDE is able to handle those files, and even text editors
> > > (other than notepad) on windows are able to view such files.
> > >
> > > However, if we would like to start having this now I am willing to do
> > > so, what do other developers say?
> > > If we do so, I would like to see some support for this in maven as I use
> > > maven for distribution.
> >
> > This is being tracked as MPDIST-27.
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPDIST-27
>
> Has now been fixed in svn.
> So if you checkout the latest maven 1 dist plugin sources from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/dist/
> and then do
> maven plugin:install from the dist plugin directory, maven dist will
> put windows style line endings in the zips.
>
> Phil

Bernard Shaw

Re: [maven] dist plugin for zip-crlf conversation (was: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0)

Mario Ivankovits
Phil Steitz wrote:
>Has now been fixed in svn.
>So if you checkout the latest maven 1 dist plugin sources from
>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/dist/
>and then do
>maven plugin:install from the dist plugin directory, maven dist will
>put windows style line endings in the zips.

Thanks!

But it was a challenge to install.
I had to remove the "assert:assertPluginAvailable" tag from plugin.jelly
and to build "plugin-xdoc" too, to make it work with maven 1.0.2.

BTW: I tried to build maven 1.1 but its tests failed, so I gave up.

Now "dist" fixes *.txt files, but I thought it should fix *.java too,
shouldnt it?

---
Mario

Re: [all][vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0

Torsten Curdt

On 12.11.2005, at 17:05, Mario Ivankovits wrote:

> *scared*, only one +1 after three days :-o
>
> I hope you all are busy checking the code, arent you?

sorry, missed the call for vote

+1 for a release

cheers
--
Torsten

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: [maven] dist plugin for zip-crlf conversation (was: [vfs][VOTE] release version 1.0)

Arnaud Héritier
Hi Mario,

        For the assert:assertPluginAvailable tag you need the last plugin-plugin. Sorry, we'll try to simplify this ASAP.

        For maven 1.1, did you try the bootstrap ? What is the error ? Can you send it to me please.

        I will publish in some minutes a new snapshot for the dist plugin. You'll be able to retreive it with :

maven plugin:download -Dmaven.repo.remote=http://cvs.apache.org/repository/ -DgroupId=maven -DartifactId=maven-dist-plugin
-Dversion=1.7-SNAPSHOT

        I'm agree for *.java in sources. Can you open an issue please ?

Arnaud