[vfs] next things to do in vfs

Mario Ivankovits
Hi!

I've setup a wiki to bundle our ideas about what we would like to see
next (after release 1.0) in VFS.

Please have a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/VfsNext

The topics are ordered by my personal importance, though possible to change.

If I forgot something I already promised then please excuse me - just
come up now again, or add it yourself to the "non confirmed" area.

Still, this is not a list of wishes to baby Jesus ;-)
Best chances to get them in is to contribute. *hinthint*

New Ideas to this "non cofirmed" area are also welcome.

You might miss the target release version on the topics.
Its just it depends on the time it takes to process the list, if it took
too long to e.g. implement 1. & 2. its possible to create an interim
release.

I'll add a contribution instantly to the code base, though you'll
understand this might not be possible e.g. if its a huge patch.

---
Mario

Re: [vfs] next things to do in vfs

Marius Hanganu-2
Hi Mario,

As Robert mentioned, in Phileas there were some things we implemented
and consider implementing, such as:

a) writing to archive-type VFS (such as zip, jar, etc)
b) with phileas we thought of taking VFS to a new level by introducing
support to other hierarchical structures as well, not only file systems.
What if there would be file-content VFS extensions such as content for
generic XML files, for ant build files, for Java member and methods
classes, or other VFS extensions, like databases for example, or even
emails? Do you feel that VFS is suitable for these cases?
c) the means to pause an operation in progress

Regards,
Marius

Marius Hanganu wrote:
> a) writing to archive-type VFS (such as zip, jar, etc)
Added to the wiki.
> b) with phileas we thought of taking VFS to a new level by introducing
> support to other hierarchical structures as well, not only file
> systems. What if there would be file-content VFS extensions such as
> content for generic XML files, for ant build files, for Java member
> and methods classes, or other VFS extensions, like databases for
> example, or even emails? Do you feel that VFS is suitable for these
> cases?
Also added to the wiki, but we should implement them in separate plugins
(vfs allows this) to not make the core too heavy weight.

The email provider should be splitted in

* pop provider
* imap provider
* mime provider

This should allow urls like this:
zip:mime:imap://user@mailserver/INBOX/folders/newMail.mime!/attachment1.zip!/zipentry.txt

and/or allows to open locally saved raw mails.

zip:mime:file://home/user/message17.msg!/attachment1.zip!/zipentry.txt

XML could be done too, but this might only be really usefull if we have
something like XPath to query the filesystem then, else VFSs value in
this area isnt that much, though it would be a nice tutorial example.

Java member and methods might be cool too - useable? I dont know.
Anyway, if one find the time to do it I'll setup a vfs-plugins
"subproject" where such stuff will be hosted.

Browse databases could be also fun, but how to represent the table content?

> c) the means to pause an operation in progress
added to the "progress & cancellation api"

Thanks!
Mario

Re: [vfs] next things to do in vfs

Robert Enyedi
Hi Mario,

> XML could be done too, but this might only be really usefull if we have
> something like XPath to query the filesystem then, else VFSs value in
> this area isnt that much, though it would be a nice tutorial example.
>
> Yes indeed the creation of an XML file system provider would make a nice
tutorial.

Regards,
Robert

Re: [vfs] next things to do in vfs

Alban Peignier
Hi all,

To participate to VfsNext, I summarized some ideas about a virtual
file-system which federates other file-systems according a given
configuration. You can find these notes in this (temporary) wiki page:
http://wiki.tryphon.org/Virtual_filesystem_for_Common_VFS

About the operation improvements, I studied an "IO" Operation model
(http://people.tryphon.org/~alban/io-operations/docs/api/) in the past.
It was originally dedicated to a commons-io refactory proposal. But it
can be a great approach to represent complex operations on VFS
filesystems.

I hope it can be usefull.
--
Alban Peignier <[hidden email]>
http://people.tryphon.org/~alban

Re: [vfs] next things to do in vfs

Mario Ivankovits
Hi!

Thanks for your ideas!
> To participate to VfsNext, I summarized some ideas about a virtual
> file-system which federates other file-systems according a given
> configuration.
There is already a start included in VFS:

You should be able to do something like this:

        final FileSystem fs =
VFS.getManager().createVirtualFileSystem("vfs://").getFileSystem();
        fs.addJunction("/myroot", VFS.getManager().resolveFile("/"));
        fs.addJunction("/myhome", VFS.getManager().resolveFile("/home/im"));

though, its not fully working yet.

You have a very ambitious sight of a "virtual filesystem" ;-)
Might we not archive the same if we make ant (and maven :-) ) based on
VFS instead of java.io.File?

This, and a simple virtual filesystem (e.g. to manage distributed
resources) would really be a killer.

> About the operation improvements, I studied an "IO" Operation model
> (http://people.tryphon.org/~alban/io-operations/docs/api/) in the past.
> It was originally dedicated to a commons-io refactory proposal. But it
> can be a great approach to represent complex operations on VFS
> filesystems.

Yes, this is indeed interesting, please dont take this page offline too
early.
I'll see what of your concept would match with what I called "service",
maybe I'll rename it to "operation" now :-)

Thanks again!
---

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 20:43 +0100, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> You should be able to do something like this:
>
>         final FileSystem fs =
> VFS.getManager().createVirtualFileSystem("vfs://").getFileSystem();
>         fs.addJunction("/myroot", VFS.getManager().resolveFile("/"));
>         fs.addJunction("/myhome", VFS.getManager().resolveFile("/home/im"));
>
> though, its not fully working yet.

Yes :) I created a "virtual://" filesystem provider which uses this
feature, configured by a properties file (used in
http://wiki.tryphon.org/How_to_track_resources_with_Commons_VFS).

Alban Peignier wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 20:43 +0100, Mario Ivankovits wrote:
>
>> You should be able to do something like this:
>>
>>         final FileSystem fs =
>> VFS.getManager().createVirtualFileSystem("vfs://").getFileSystem();
>>         fs.addJunction("/myroot", VFS.getManager().resolveFile("/"));
>>         fs.addJunction("/myhome", VFS.getManager().resolveFile("/home/im"));
>>
>> though, its not fully working yet.
>>

> Yes :) I created a "virtual://" filesystem provider which uses this
> feature, configured by a properties file (used in
> http://wiki.tryphon.org/How_to_track_resources_with_Commons_VFS).

So it is possible to add "junctions" like in my example with your
implementation?
If yes, are you willing to donate it?

Maybe it can replace ours.
If possible make it configureable where it takes the properties file
using FileSystemOptions. If you havent already done so ;-)

Thanks!
Mario

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment